Ac Clutch Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajunrebel

Reaction score
My AC clutch bit the big one last week and I had to pull it and run a smaller belt. I dont have the cash to replace the compressor much less the 10 million other things that the parts stores want you to replace in order to warranty your compressor. I have found a rebuild kit for the clutch on fleabay and am considering it. It however does not include the pulley, just the clutch assy, coil and bearing. Should I see about having a shop clean the surface of my current pulley up and reuse it or should I find a pulley. Mine is fairly worn and in need of a very good cleaning. I can do the rig on the clutch easily (I am trained to rig aircraft landing gear) so the whole install is not a big deal, just need to know if its wort it to reuse that pulley.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be getting a new pulley, when in doubt.

I had read that rebuilding or even replacing just the clutch is not worth it. My clutch is failing as well and I am opting for the replacement compressor. I agree it is dumb that I need to replace other components to get the warranty but whatever. It is the wife's vehicle so I need to get this fixed so she and the kids dont melt, hah.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm of the impression that the best course of action is replace not repare on the compressor. When mine went out two summers ago that is the route I went, less headaches just more cash.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm of the impression that the best course of action is replace not repare on the compressor. When mine went out two summers ago that is the route I went, less headaches just more cash.

my 02 cluch went out a few weeks ago, started of making intermitent noise, for 1 week, 1 week of solid noise, then fozen, I went with a new Four Seasons compressor and dryer, I had a shop do it only for the fact that they gave 12k warrenty and the price wasn't too bad, call around and make sure the warrenty is for parts and labor, I called 7 places that I had used in the past, and surpisingly the cheapest also had the best written warrenty

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't arguee with a 12K warrenty at all. Parts are a little costly but it's worth it with A/C.

thats what I figured, I could have possibly done it all myself for about 200$ cheaper, but this way I get the warrenty, and didn't have to be outside during the week when it was 100+ here

cajunrebel

Reaction score
I am not planning to keep the jeep but for the next couple months. I have another truck that is getting its motor rebuilt now and when its ready I am selling the KJ and picking up a motorcycle. I mean is it worth it for me to spend nearly $1000 in this market where I am already gonna be close about making my money back on my jeep? If I only get enough life out of the clutch for me to sell it, then its done what I need. But the compressor is still in good shape. The clutch just overheated. The ambient air temps where I work readily reach over 130 degrees F and under the hood you can easily see well over 250 or more. The little plastic cap on the clutch bearing never stood a chance.