AC Acting Up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smeltn

Reaction score
I just had the replace the clutch on my AC as well. Had the same problem as you, then it just started making this loud metal grinding, teeth cringing sound and carried it straight to the shop and it was the clutch. I went ahead and replaced the Compressor as well while it was there.

n3tninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 did the same thing last Sept. Started with the smell on and off for about two weeks or so, mainly on a hot day usually during my 250mile travel to and from work twice a week, then the grinding started. I ended up replacing the whole damn thing because everywhere I called said it couldn't be replaced (shoulda came here first), but it wasn't to expensive and it works great now. :) Actually when the grinding started it was only at idle, but with the engine off you could grab the compressor pulley and feel the play in it.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 did the same thing last Sept. Started with the smell on and off for about two weeks or so, mainly on a hot day usually during my 250mile travel to and from work twice a week, then the grinding started. I ended up replacing the whole damn thing because everywhere I called said it couldn't be replaced (shoulda came here first), but it wasn't to expensive and it works great now. :) Actually when the grinding started it was only at idle, but with the engine off you could grab the compressor pulley and feel the play in it.

mind expressing what "not too expensive" is?