abs light + emergency brake light=no speedo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChristianKline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had an ongoing problem, i had my emergency brake light come on after i used my emergency brake to park on a hill, at the same time the speedo stopped working and so did the emergency brake all together, this caused my abs light to come on and my check engine light to come on, after replacing the transmission speed sensor and the rear differential speed sensor, my check engine light has gone off but my abs and emergency brake lights are still and my speedometer only works a little bit, if I'm going 65 it reads 20 and this combination of problems is also causing the transmission to act funny, it shifts unnecessarily. with the speedo not working my odometer also isn't working along with my gas mileage read out, any help would be greatly appreciated. after replacing sensors with no luck i don't know where to look now

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably need to get the abs codes read to figure out what's wrong w/ the abs.
i believe that is a dealership only task

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a loose connection on the speed sensor on the rear diff of my 2002 Export CRD, without ABS. The speedo acted then as you say...it drastically under-read the speed!

After I fixed the bad connection the speedo worked correctly but the CEL stayed on for about a week when it cleared itself.

The wires going to the speed sensor on the diff are known to chaff through to the chassis at certain points and the connector itself may be bad so replacing the sensor itself may not have solved the speed sensing problem.....you need to meter the wires out.