a few more question redux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatfoot

Reaction score
Hello to all.

Thanks to all who have responded to my previous questions. Still waiting for a response to some of my questions such as the roof rack questions.
But I have five further questions. (I want to get my vehicle right the first time,

1) I see some libertys with the fenders sort of being a different color then the rest of body(I am not talking about the fake bolt on fender), they seem kind of plasticy(if thats a word), but they look nice imho. I cant figure out why some libertys have them and some dont. It doesnt say anything that I can see in the catalog or on site?

2) Tire option.
I read that the standard tires are crap. Is there an option that will give me a better tire? I am looking at the c package on the sport.

3) Can tow hooks be ordere as a stand alone item, if I am ordering vehicle direct from factory?

4) Does anyone know if theres room under the liberty to install an auxillary fuel tank, and has anyone done this?

5) I am looking at the tubular step up rails that mopar offers. I cant seem to find a photo of them. Are they round all the way, or do they flatten out at a stepping point. If they are rounded, doesnt that get slippery when icy or snowy or wet? Any photos?

Again, thanks for letting me bore you with a bunch of questions from a future liberty newbee. ](*,)

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flatfoot said:
1) I see some libertys with the fenders sort of being a different color then the rest of body(I am not talking about the fake bolt on fender), they seem kind of plasticy(if thats a word), but they look nice imho. I cant figure out why some libertys have them and some dont. It doesnt say anything that I can see in the catalog or on site?

Sports come with the grey plastic flares, Limiteds come with body-colored flares, and rennegades come with the bolt-on body colored flares.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. Stock tires options for the Libby stink all around. Though some dealers might work with you on possible upgrades. Good luck though.

5. First, are you planning on doing some decent off-roading? If so, the step tubes are a bad choice. If you don't plan to do any or only light off-roading, no biggie, but you could still rip them off or damage them pretty good.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sports have grey plastic flares and bumpers, Limiteds and Latitudes get body color flares.

2) Tire option.
I read that the standard tires are crap. Is there an option that will give me a better tire? I am looking at the c package on the sport.

Nope, you're stuck with the crappy OE tires regardless of package. You might be able to convince your dealer to take them off and give you some better ones though.

3) Can tow hooks be ordere as a stand alone item, if I am ordering vehicle direct from factory?

You can get them after the purchase if that's what you're asking. I think they're also part of a package with skids...I could be wrong though.

4) Does anyone know if theres room under the liberty to install an auxillary fuel tank, and has anyone done this?

Um...not much space under there...there could be room under the load floor though. But the tank is pretty freakin' big anyway...

5) I am looking at the tubular step up rails that mopar offers. I cant seem to find a photo of them. Are they round all the way, or do they flatten out at a stepping point. If they are rounded, doesnt that get slippery when icy or snowy or wet? Any photos?

They flatten at the step points, but I HIGHLY reccomend against them if you're going to be doing anything more than logging roads. They offer no real protection, and the KJ isn't exactly tall enough to warrant steps. I actually sit down into it, and I'm about 6' even. You'd probally find that they're more of a hinderance to entry than a help. They're up high enough to not make much of a difference between stepping into the car or stepping onto the bar. They stick out pretty far on the sides too, so they make it harder to just step in without stepping on them.

It's good to hear that you decided on the Liberty instead of the RAV4, you're making an EXCELLENT decision.