5W-20 oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership is using 5W-20 for Jeep oil changes. Anyone have any comments/opinions. Prefer to do my own oil changes but had a time crunch issue. I always use Castrol GTX 5W-30 myself.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07's and up get 5w-20. 02-06 get 5w-30. what year do you have? mike

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with 5W-30, even 10W-30. if You follow the 3k/3mo route...buy the cheapest SM/SN oil on sale!
MC synthetic blend 5W/30 might be an option, no idea about prices though :shrug:. Or just go straight dino
and sleep well..
Apparently Chrysler is trying to standardize engine oils, IMO, ( but not other fluids, grrr..) so same
vehicle might be specd' for different weights. 5W-20 won't kill your engine, but I see no reason to use such
a thin oil, also considering Your location. AFAIK all KJs are specd for xW-30. The 5W-20 thing began with KKs.

Mind You, I'm no fan of thick oils, but few people really see the point for 5W-20, unless in some specific
engines ( Fords, Hondas, 5.7 HEMIs etc.. ). Also, DIYMAN is no guru... :)

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'05 Rennie. Ahhh yes, the 5.7. The service advisor said the reason they're using 5W-20 for everything now is..., because some of the current Mopars like 5W-20... and they want to use only one type oil to simplify/standardize their servicing. I had asked why my receipt stated 5W-20 when my manual states 5W-30. I thought there had been a mistake. I would never have known had I not checked my receipt. Hmmm....

I will continue using my 5W-30 GTX. My vehicles have always liked GTX. Was just curious if some of you guys might have heard something I had not. Thx for your replies.

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5W-20 thing began with KKs.

Not true. It started on the 07 KJ. My owner's manual specs that weight. I have put full synthetic 5W20 oil in my KJ from the first oil change. Not a single problem with it. Even running in 100+ degree temps for months at a time here in Texas, I have never had any issues whatsoever. I have changed my own oil every time, every 4k miles and have never had any "burnt" oil. It it actually comes out cleaner than a lot of other vehicles I have owned in the past.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
long_tall_texan, It's ok, nothing bad will ever happen, but ( it's a long story... ) on 4k intervals ANY SM/SN
oil will be more than adequate... Syn oil? No such thing today... SM/SNs all have some grp III base stock
as do (rogue) syns... I've stopped being scr~#ed, and I realize they still do when I buy 'semi', but well...

Anyhow, do as You like, but IMHO You'll gain absolutely nothing with 5W-20 other than pleasing Chrysler..
PS : NO flaming intended.... only trying to help :)