4x4 knocking related to tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saabsaviur

Reaction score
so anyways i went to dealership today to ask some q's re 7/70k warranty and whats covered. I initially went because my 4x4 makes awfull noses when engaged. he said it could be cause my tires are so worn that its misaligning something. he recomeneded i stick with stock tires that the 235/70/16 uniroyal awt wont fit. and when i get tires and allignment and it still makes noise to come back. any input will these tires i orderded work fine on a 03 stock sport

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
as long as it's the same size as stock it should fit no problem...

the size you listed is stock size..

what type of noises is it making, and when is it making it?
like are u just going in straight line? turning..etc?...

also what system do you have, command trac, or selec trac...maybe we can be of some help too w/ the noises you are a getting

2003KJ

Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
as long as it's the same size as stock it should fit no problem...

the size you listed is stock size..

what type of noises is it making, and when is it making it?
like are u just going in straight line? turning..etc?...

also what system do you have, command trac, or selec trac...maybe we can be of some help too w/ the noises you are a getting

Agreed. There are so many different possibilities for the noises a Jeep can make in 4x4, that its hard to diagnose unless you can tell us exactly what you're doing when the noises happen, which transfer case you have, etc.

Not trying to be a wise ass or anything, it just helps us a great deal to give the proper information when we have something to work with...lol

saabsaviur

Reaction score
what no one is physic on here?
hmm not sure what system i have ill have to check it out
the stock size on the jeep and in door jamb is 215/70/16
2003 sport
when i engage 4x4hi, manly turning a clunking noice comes from right front area like its not fully engaging or something. so i assume then the 235/70/16 will fit fine if there stock on some.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the tires are you problem. 235/70R16 is what came stock on my KJ.

If you are turning in 4wd you could be experiencing some wheel hop due to driveline binding.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
215 is the stock size for sport...235 is the upgraded wheel package..ur more than safe w/ that size

as far as the noise..u cannot turn on 4-hi while on a non slippery surface...reason being is that the t-case forces all wheels to turn at the same speed. it's not like all wheel drive..where all 4 wheels can turn at different speeds. i am guessing you have command trac (4-hi, N, 4-lo)

that sytem can only be engaged when it's slippery, and when turning, allows the slippage on all 4 wheels...if on a dry surface you will bind your drive line, (or what they also call crabbing)....and you will hear what you have heard, and also experience, the jeep to kinda struggle when turning....

never engage on dry surface...on rain..hard rain..you can engage it, but make sure you disengage when turning...snow...mud..ur safe to leave it on

saabsaviur

Reaction score
thans so much, it makes a lot more sense now, the 4x4 in the liberty seems different then past 4x4s, ive had a 91 xj and a 81 cj7 and a 93 explorer

saabsaviur

Reaction score
ok so i got new tires also this weekend i went with 235/70/16 dayton timberline a/t on my way back from phx to flag i stopped at bummble exit to check them out a little better.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online