4x4 at what speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you move the transfer case lever slowly and dliberately with a pause in each position, or are you pulling it quickly to the desired position?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
i dont have the tow pack, i do have the 17in rims though, hehe. and y would urs last longer? b/c i use mine, that dosent hurt it to do what ive done, it still works fine!!

I agree with Grogie, if you are causing your transfer case to make noises like that, I believe his will last longer....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so uve never heard ur t-case pop? every jeep ive ever been in, including our 3, have popped when going in and out of 4wd.weve even got a grand with 155k on it and it works just fine, it pops all the time.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
For the most part when I engage 4 wheel drive I just baby it for a block, to make sure its engaged. Because once before I thought it was engaged and it made the pop noise, since I believe the back wheels were slipping a bit.

But, Basically you want all 4 wheels turning at the same time, at the time of engagement. Making the back tires spin while engaging it, will most definetly cause the pop noise.

Bennett

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
so uve never heard ur t-case pop? every jeep ive ever been in, including our 3, have popped when going in and out of 4wd.weve even got a grand with 155k on it and it works just fine, it pops all the time.

Actually I have heard it before. On one of my previous Wranglers, I heard the noise when shifting in to 4wd, and then immediately after it, I no longer had a functioning transfer case. Fortunately it was still under warranty. But hey, that is just my experience. My family and I have had a lot of Jeeps in the last decade and a half and the only time I have heard this, it was very bad, but that is just my experience. I tend to baby my Jeep when shifting the transfer case. If your is functioning well in this fashion, who am I to say that you are hurting anything? I was just speaking from my past experience.... :alien: