4HI JERKING WHEN TURMING WHEEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellinas

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have an 06 Renegade. I was driving today in a snow storm, in 4 Hi. When I went to turn into a parking space, there was a grinding sound coming from the drivetrain, I guess... and it ****** pretty hard. My steering wheel was turned almost all the way, but I let off when that happened. My lift has not been installed yet, so I'm all stock right now. And, it does not matter which direction I turned the wheel, It happend both left and right. :-s

Anyone experience this before??? ](*,) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires, just hopping/scuffing along the ground probably. 4-Hi will do that on drive pavement, because it locks the front and rear driveshaft. That is what gives you good traction in the slipery stuff. Just once you get on to dry pavement shift it back into 2wd. I doubt you hurt anything. Just don't make a habit out never shift back and you will be fine.

Go here and ready about the different 4x4 systems and how they work
http://www.jeep.com/4x4/

Ellinas

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. The link is very helpful. The only thing is that there was about 4 inches of snow on the ground when this occured. I never shifted out of 4 Hi during this episode. Thanks again for your help!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 4HI the front steering will bind up faster than in 2HI or 4LO, so you're turning radius is gong to be larger. Once or twice going to the limits shouldn't do any damage, but don't make a habit of it.

Ellinas

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. You saved me a trip to the dealer, I appreciate the help.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, be careful not to use Command-Trac's 4-HI (or 4-LOW) on dry pavement.

On my KJ, it has Selec-Trac, and I use the full-time four-wheel drive all the time when the roads get wet, and just part-time (same as Command-Trac) on snow packed roads (such as the last two days!). \:D/

See this guide on using either Command-Trac or Selec-Trac (click on "Get Ready", "See how Jeep 4x4 Systems Work"):

http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
In 4HI the front steering will bind up faster than in 2HI or 4LO...

Is this true? It's obvious that 4HI will bind faster than 2HI, but why wouldn't it be the same as 4LO?

grogiefrog said:
See this guide on using either Command-Trac or Selec-Trac (click on "Get Ready", "See how Jeep 4x4 Systems Work"):

http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html

Yeah, that link is great. Gives a good idea of the capabilities of the 4x4 systems in Jeeps.

jpm