42RLE Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've really neglected my trans and need to change the fluid. Trying to determine if I'll take it in for a flush, or "flush" it myself.

Looking on RockAuto.com, I see 2 filters listed. Has anyone used either one of these?

PARTS AUTHORITY Part # 61711 {Filter Kit}
4 SP RWD/4X4 42RLE Transmission ($7.51)

ATP Part # B216
42RLE, 42RLE/VLP ($11.87)

Or, would it be best to get a Mopar one from a dealer?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, does this one from Autozone (Champion) look correct?

You must be registered for see images

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the flush done at the dealer. They will have the proper filter, fluids and will actually flush it and reset the TCM. Should run you 250$, but it's better than 4-5K$ for a new trans.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Not up to speed on 42rle filters,on the flush,dealer down here just flushes fluid,NO filter change unless you ask and pay extra for it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the 42rle/VLP ******. And that pic looks just like what I used. Ive never known the VLP to have a different filter but it may.

Personally I just change the filter every 30k and change the fluid every 10-15k. No flushes for me.

Scooba Steve

Reaction score
I used the ATP B216 kit when I did my 42rle in November. Appeared to be a well made kit. I would use again.

When I did mine I dropped the pan and was able to get a fair amount to drain out (more than I thought would).

I am going to use the method that flair111 uses to cycle fresh fluid in by sucking 2 qts out from the fill tube every so often, and drop pan and change filter/gasket every 30k miles

Last edited:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped the pan and changed the filter when we got our Libby. I don't believe the pan had ever been off. It had around 75k on at the time. I wouldn't have gone that long if I'd owned it since new, but I have to admit, the fluid looked like new. I plan to do a pan drop every 25k or so.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm most likely just going to get it flushed at the dealer for $140. I'm tempted to replace the filter and flush myself, but with the PCM reset and all it just seems that I should take it in.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm most likely just going to get it flushed at the dealer for $140. I'm tempted to replace the filter and flush myself, but with the PCM reset and all it just seems that I should take it in.
$140? Grr. Where? Roseville charged my sister $170. Then again that was after tax and stuff...

Latest posts

Members online