3.7 engine rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm back for a second go around at getting my Jeep back on the road. Found a great deal on a core head and John @ Southeast cylinder is going to rebuild free of charge as good faith. Anyone looking to get heads rebuilt check them out, they replace all powdered metal valve seats with nickel chrome that'll withstand heat better and resist dropping. Anyways, looking for some direction as to whether or not I should rebuild entire engine or not as I will be pulling engine now. Bottom end has 198,000 miles, and didn't burn oil. If so, what should I replace for new parts and keep of old parts? I feel I could get many more miles out of the current bottom end maybe another 50-100k miles and also feel If I start replacing just some parts that I may be making more bad than good. Please help me out with what I need for parts and a cost effective place to purchase. Been looking at some ebay piston sets and crank and rod bearing sets etc. Thanks

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you pulling the engine? I thought you were replacing the head?

Anyway, you said it ran fine with no noises, just needed the head replaced. I would leave it as is if you are so inclined. Without any issues it's tough to point you to something to replace.

If you want to keep it a long time and are pulling the engine out just do a complete rebuild. Bearing and rings minimum and mic the cylinders to know whether or not you can just hone a new crosshatch pattern on them and just go. Also mic the cam lobes and look for wear on the hardface. Once you get it out it will tell you what it needs.

Or if it is in terrific shape with just the one head problem, bolt the rebuilt head down and drive. With one head off you are in a position to inspect the cylinders and cam for wear and can make a good call on which way to go.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I be fine reusing original pistons with new rings and honing cylinder walls given the walls mic out?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online