2nd Battery Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w00dr0w

Reaction score
Has anyone done a decent writeup or YouTube video of installing a second, deep cycle battery in the KJ? I have this crazy idea of having a second battery and a power inverter for running some 110VAC gear while camping. Primarily some led lighting, a small boom box, charging cameras, phones, laptops and possibly running a small fridge. Has anyone done anything like this? I am not sure where I would put a second battery to begin with - not alot of extra room under the hood...

Last edited:

dhula

Reaction score
I usually use this --> Waeco Coolpower and plonk it in the back with all my other stuff. problem with that is it takes up space that could be better used for other stuff.

I was thinking that I might be able to fit something more permanent under the passenger seat as there is a fair bit of room there but I think it would definitely need to be a AGM type battery (similar to the Optima battery that Jeep put in the KJ Deso). I could always get really gucci and use a Li type battery but it can get pretty expensive setting it all up to work properly.

I do like the ease of the Waeco battery pack and the fact I did '2/5 of 5/8 of FA' to fit it to the KJ and make it work so not sure yet which way I'll go.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually use this --> Waeco Coolpower and plonk it in the back with all my other stuff. problem with that is it takes up space that could be better used for other stuff.

I was thinking that I might be able to fit something more permanent under the passenger seat as there is a fair bit of room there but I think it would definitely need to be a AGM type battery (similar to the Optima battery that Jeep put in the KJ Deso). I could always get really gucci and use a Li type battery but it can get pretty expensive setting it all up to work properly.

I do like the ease of the Waeco battery pack and the fact I did '2/5 of 5/8 of FA' to fit it to the KJ and make it work so not sure yet which way I'll go.

That battery pack looks great.

Not sure if anyone has put a spare battery in the KJ but I am interested to see.......

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a decent writeup or YouTube video of installing a second, deep cycle battery in the KJ? I have this crazy idea of having a second battery and a power inverter for running some 110VAC gear while camping. Primarily some led lighting, a small boom box, charging cameras, phones, laptops and possibly running a small fridge. Has anyone done anything like this? I am not sure where I would put a second battery to begin with - not alot of extra room under the hood...
That is a lot of demands especially when you state "small fridge"
I hope you mean a 12 v camp cooler....
Last time I was camping for 5 days, had my AGM 500watt inverter/jumper power box for electronics charger:
59020[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

And also took a separate group 34/78 battery with separate battery clamp converter for the cooler.
The 2nd battery was then charged up overnight with a c-tek 4.3 amp charger from the power box.
If in the sun, a good solar panel can keep the battery up in the daytime as well.
For a true deep cycle battery an Odyssey with tons of juice is the only way to go!
59022[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The power box needed charging daily, used the Jeep to charge it plugged into an accessory socket with jeep running for 30 minutes.

Here also is a link re adding a Dual Battery set-up. ..
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/dual-battery-system-where-put-2nd-batt-49514/

Attachments

• Compressor%20Self%20Powered.jpg
    Compressor%20Self%20Powered.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Odyssey%20returns%20to%20Jeep.jpg
    Odyssey%20returns%20to%20Jeep.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no room for nothing!!!

Honda Generator is your friend

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of relocating the battery to under the back of the jeep in the future to free up space under the hood for other fun stuff. I am thinking of putting it in the drivers rear wheel well area.

w00dr0w

Reaction score

That is a nice battery pack... If I can't find a good way to mount a second battery I might get one similar - I will definitely consider that one!

w00dr0w

Reaction score
That is a lot of demands especially when you state "small fridge"
I hope you mean a 12 v camp cooler....

Yeah that is what I meant lol... I do like that Odyssey battery though. The Optimas are overrated :gr_grin: