2008 Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Allpar; This platform has been forked, with the Dodge Nitro taking an on-road path and the Liberty staying off-road. Liberty sales are surprisingly high, with the Liberty beating the Ford Escape to be the best-selling compact SUV in America for 2005. We expect a new Liberty around 2008. The Nitro is scheduled to be built starting August 2006; the redesigned Jeep Liberty, on August 2007. Toledo North, a four year old plant, is expected to produce 300,000 vehicles per year (225,250 Libertys were sold last year). Diesel Libertys will skip 2007 and perhaps 2008; despite its high sales, the Liberty itself may not last past 2008.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is, wait and see..

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there room for a new Liberty? Good question... With the addition of the Compass and Patriot, the Liberty is truly the Jeep in the middle of it's line up... Compass, Patriot, Liberty, Grand Cherokee, Commander (I did not include the Wrangler in that line up, as it's kind of off on it's own).

When I first heard about the Ntro, which is the Dodge version of the Liberty, I started to wonder why have both? Well Dodge didn't have a small SUV, and well now they will have.

When I first heard about the Patriot, I started to wonder is it going to replace the Liberty? We all know that the Liberty out performs other small SUV's, especially with it's V6 and four-wheel drive. Of course this makes it a little bit more expensive, so here comes Jeep with the Patriot to compete better at that price range and mpg with the Escape, Rav4, etc. Of course it looses some ground clearance, Jeeps traditional four-wheel low, and has a smaller engine.

Then we also have the '07 Wrangler which is going to add a four-door option, and have a V6.

So all of the above does make some more competition for the Liberty. But the Liberty has been very successful for Jeep, and it would be surprising to see it's name go away without Jeep giving it at least one redesign. So I have to think that Jeep will do so. What I love about the Liberty is the fact that for under 30k, you can get it loaded, with leather and all the fun stuff, and also with a traditional Jeep four-wheel drive. I've got a neighbor that has a loaded '96 Grand Cherokee with selec-trac, the same four-wheel drive that is offered in today's Liberty.

One thing that I suspect with a redesigned Liberty is no two-wheel drive option. Why with the Patriot as a front-wheel drive option?

So Jeep, let's see the Liberty redesigned to fit the market between the Patriot and Grand Cherokee.
\:D/

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the KJ 2008 redesign will replicate close to the Nitro. Just my thought. It seems that the boxy design is being used more, as we can see in the Compass, Patriot, Commander, Grand C, etc...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the selling point of Patriot? It is obvious for Liberty, and Commander, one is offroad capability/onroad comfort and other is 7 pass (although tight fit), but patriot has to have something up it's sleeve to sell good. Or is Jeep/DC making use of the unsold chassis and engines of old cherokees?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Here goes...

Jeep was going to sell either the Compass or Patriot. There's a problem here...

Only women liked the Compass.
Only men liked the Patriot. It was split 50-50. See where the problem lies here? :)

There will be a new Liberty! The Patriot is nowhere close in size to the Liberty! There's like over 10+ cubic feet of space missing inside!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Is patriot that small? It surely didn't look that small on promo videos..

You are right, either that dude is huge, or patriot is small..

You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

someone photoshopped when 05 first appeared

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That grille is a direct picture of a Bentley (Continental coupe I think) grille. I'm not sure how that would be related to the Liberty. That's pretty gross looking in my opinion.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like a grandpa without his fake teeth. And a mouth wide open.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
y'all read about that new 4.0L v-6 (bout 255 bhp) that DC is stuffing in the dodge nitro? rumor has it that it's gonna see it's way in the 08's

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had heard a rumor about a 4.0 eventually getting back into the Wrangler, so that may be it. 255 hp would be pretty nice. I've never driven a 4.0L, but I kinda like the 3.7L in the Liberty right now.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might be overkill, and suddenly drop the sales for day-to-day drivers who got a liberty. It will start gulping gas. It would be nice as an option, for off-roaders or trailer pullers, but if they make is standart, that may not be the way to go..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
For what it's worth...

The Nitro, with the 4.0L is supposed to get 17MPG City, and 21MPG Highway. with the 3.7L it is expected to get 18MPG City and 23MPG Highway.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
That might be overkill, and suddenly drop the sales for day-to-day drivers who got a liberty. It will start gulping gas. It would be nice as an option, for off-roaders or trailer pullers, but if they make is standart, that may not be the way to go..

I think jeep's just trying to keep up. it's direct competitors have bigger engines....and u know how some buyers are..the bigger the number the better............so...it's a good option I guess...

Latest posts

Members online