2007 Jeep Liberty coolant overflow tank hoses.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrendenKJ

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
There are two hoses coming from my coolant overflow tank. One of them goes from the bottom of the overflow to the rad just blew the rad cap and the other one just hangs there from the top of the overflow tank. Not sure if it popped out of somewhere when I over heated or if it’s just a overflow hose. Anyone know?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My 04 The hose from rad cap runs down and gets plugged into the bottom, to where the white clear void area is.
The other hose runs back to the rad.

BrendenKJ

Reaction score
My 04 The hose from rad cap runs down and gets plugged into the bottom, to where the white clear void area is.
The other hose runs back to the rad.
Not sure about mine the hose is pretty short about 10”. There is no place for it to plug into the bottom of the overflow like yours, and my other hose is running from the bottom of the overflow to the rad.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of the 07s (like yours) switched to the open system, not the closed system like the older ones. It sounds like your hoses are in the right place to me.

And get that green coolant out of there!!!! Definitely the wrong type. Get HOAT (Mopar from the dealer) or Zerex G-05 (Napa, O'Reillys, Advance all have it, not Autozone).

BrendenKJ

Reaction score
Some of the 07s (like yours) switched to the open system, not the closed system like the older ones. It sounds like your hoses are in the right place to me.

And get that green coolant out of there!!!! Definitely the wrong type. Get HOAT (Mopar from the dealer) or Zerex G-05 (Napa, O'Reillys, Advance all have it, not Autozone).
Thank you!
I will get the proper coolant after I change thermostat and get her running again.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You may want to flush the cooling system very well to get that green crap out of there.
Even though I use factory Hoat Zerex-G05 is also Hoat.

Use a Mopar thermostat as well.

BrendenKJ

Reaction score
You may want to flush the cooling system very well to get that green crap out of there.
Even though I use factory Hoat Zerex-G05 is also Hoat.

Use a Mopar thermostat as well.
Thanks. I will make sure to do that ASAP. uneducated on this but what’s the problem with not using Mopar/HOAT coolant. The coolant has been green in it since I bought the Jeep in 2010.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoat is what the Jeep requires and is specified in your owners manual.
It protects properly, a plastic impeller in the water pump can be damaged by the use of non hoat products.
Also the two different coolants do not mix well together.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoat is what the Jeep requires and is specified in your owners manual.
It protects properly, a plastic impeller in the water pump can be damaged by the use of non hoat products.
Also the two different coolants do not mix well together.

I dont think it has anything to do with plastics, rather it is to precent corrosion of the dissimilar metals.
Aluminum heads, iron block.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly the Hoat is less corrosive to the plastic impeller, as it is a known fact that damage can occur to the impeller if other coolant than hoat has been used.
Yes the hoat is also correct for the dissimilar metals.