2006 air condition problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor clutch does not engage . The ac pro can shows it in the red . The low limit switch shows 11v out of the plug . Jumping it did not engage the clutch. The compressor plug has 14v coming out of the harness . I have checked the fuse and swapped the relay under the hood .

I am not sure how to test the high limit switch and I do not have gauges to show show what the high / lows are . Is there anything else I can do ? I am afraid this is going to be a compressor .

I guess it it is the transducer I am asking about

Thank you

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As does Harbor Freight tools.. (not loaner).. but to purchase.

Sounds like either a seized compressor or a faulty A/C clutch and coil.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gauges show 50 on low and 185 on high . outside air temp is 90* today

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like your high side is low.
I think your charge is low. not sure how you're going to recover refrigerant and recharge without specialized equipment.

A/C should really should be left by pros.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the diamond head on the needle in the color portion of the gauges . Can you explain what I should be looking at and what it should say to be correct ? I will get 134A tomorrow .

thank you

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you disconnect the gauges from your ac system both gauges should point to 0 . I'm fairly certain that's going to be the non-arrowhead ends of the hands & the ends you want to take your readings by . It appears that psi is the outside row of numbers on each gauge . I have a set of gauges & just did my 02 Liberty . The FSM for it said psi's for low side should be 20-30 at 70 degrees , 25-35 at 80 & 30-40 at 90 . High side 150-250 , 200-300 & 250-350 at above degrees . Engine at operating temperature , engine running at 1000 rpm's , ac controls on full cool , blower on hi , ac button on .
Compressor will have to be running to achieve correct reading & pressures . If you use jumper wires & run straight 12 volts from the battery to the compressor the clutch should kick in if the coil is good . The engine doesn't need to be running to test the clutch with jumpers .

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use jumper wires & run straight 12 volts from the battery to the compressor the clutch should kick in if the coil is good . The engine doesn't need to be running to test the clutch with jumpers .

^ That, is the easiest and best way I've found to test the coil. You could pull up the resistance specs for it, but if it works, energizing it like Logan said will demonstrate it's functionality. If it doesn't engage the clutch, then either the clutch is seized or the coil is dead. Replacements usually come together anyhow.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the engine off can the front of the compressor clutch be turned by hand. Should be able to move it if the compressor is not locked up.

I don't think it's a low on freon problem, if those gauges are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you -- I was able to rotate the clutch yesterday , but tonight tried the 12v jumper and it did nothing . my sons Dakota has also had a problem since we bought it so I tried it on his . 12v and it engaged so I was able to see what it should do . His is a condenser leak ..

Does the liberty require a different clutch remover puller than the standard set on the loaner program at autozone or oreilly's ? I have looked at a couple tonight and would consider buying a set if there is one that will work . It is the HS18 compressor .

Thank you for the help . Don't mean to keep dragging this on and be annoying ,but need to save as much money as I can ..too many kids driving !!