2005 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schj98

Reaction score
Ok so my dad has a 05 Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition 4x4 V6 3.7L. He bought it about a month ago.

His problem is this anytime he takes it up a decent incline the engine will get up to 2000RPM the Jeep will slow to 1 or 2 miles an hour. He then will let of the gas the transmission will slam into gear and the Jeep will immediately jump back up to speed.

Chrysler says this is a known issue for all 2005 Jeep Liberty’s that involves the computer not telling the transmission what to do properly and that no solution has been found. ](*,)

I find that very hard to believe if there was such a huge problem would they really still be selling the vehicle? So what I am wondering is has anyone else had this problem? And if so what did they have to do to fix it?

Thanks.

Jim

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall, there was some info on this board at one time mentioning something about the pickup in the trans getting starved for fluid on a certain degree of incline. Maybe others can chime in...there's lots of knowledgeable guys & gals on here.
Greg

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
First I heard of it... (not that that means much)... but I've not had that problem with mine yet. Sounds like a transmission problem of some sort for sure to me... I'd take it in and demand that they fix it.

Luis

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 Rocky Mountain

i just got the same rig in june, havent had that problem yet, thank goodness! havent been up any radical inclines yet either! LOL