2005 Jeep Liberty no start just single click

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archy417

Reaction score
Hey everyone I tried starting the jeep today and I got a single click I replaced starter thinking it was that same problem I jumped the relay for the starter to see if it cranks it just a single click any ideas what it could be it’s driving me crazy

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the Battery Cables are clean and tight and the Ground Battery lead going to ground is clean and tight.

If it is a Gasser then there are 2 straps grounding the rear of the heads to the Firewall...make sure they are clean and tight.

Get a pair of thick Jumper cables...clamp one end of the Black Cable to the negative Battery Terminal and the other end clamp to the Starter Motor housing. Clamp the Red Cable to the Red positive Battery Lead and the other end to the large lug on the Starter motor....make sure you do not touch this Red Lead to chassis/engine as it is live and unfused and will spark like crazy!;)

jnuncio3

growler
Reaction score
When my CRD did this, I removed my glow plugs and had a stream of HOAT shoot out of my #2 cylinder. I had a cracked head.

If you have a gasser, remove your sparkplug and see if it'll spin over. Hopefully its just the starter and not a hydraulic lock. Good luck.

Kiwigasman

Reaction score
I've had issues similar to this with other cars. Check starter motor certainly but I would make sure the battery is ok and holding the correct charge. It may look alright but as soon as a load is applied it throws its toys out of the pram.

Kiwigasman

Reaction score
Saying that I had to replace the battery in my Jeep too. As I said everything looked OK but it was playing silly buggers. I could have had a deep cycle discharge and recharge, but far easier snd quicker just to swap it out. I would also recommend a calcium battery. More expensive ( though things are cheaper in the states) but so much more reliable.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you scanned for stored or Pending OBD2 diagnostic codes ?
What is the standing voltage before attempting to start it? How many cold cranking amps does your battery have?
Best batteries today are AGM (absorb glass mat) they are deep cycle & sealed, won't corrode terminals.
Odyssey are the most powerful AGM's by far, & tend to last up to 12 years.

archy417

Reaction score
I've had issues similar to this with other cars. Check starter motor certainly but I would make sure the battery is ok and holding the correct charge. It may look alright but as soon as a load is applied it throws its toys out of the pram.
I have replaced the starter checked the grounds I bypassed the relay and still nothing I don’t have a voltage meter I’m gonna go buy one

Check the Battery Cables are clean and tight and the Ground Battery lead going to ground is clean and tight.

If it is a Gasser then there are 2 straps grounding the rear of the heads to the Firewall...make sure they are clean and tight.

Get a pair of thick Jumper cables...clamp one end of the Black Cable to the negative Battery Terminal and the other end clamp to the Starter Motor housing. Clamp the Red Cable to the Red positive Battery Lead and the other end to the large lug on the Starter motor....make sure you do not touch this Red Lead to chassis/engine as it is live and unfused and will spark like crazy!;)
I checked the grounds the grounds are good

hey I check all the grounds there alll good