2004 jeep liberty transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyAc

Reaction score
Hi there,

It has been more than one year and 15k kms since I bought my Jeep which has now 165.000 kms.

Today I encountered a problem with the transmission and wanted to know if someone ever experienced something similar.

I was driving uphill, when I heard a noise and the car was suddenly not geared anymore. There was no response from the accelerator either. I was fearing something broke inside. However switching the engine off and starting the car again did start the vehicle smoothly.
However some 60km after I experienced the same problem on a flat double lane driving at only 80km/h

I'm bringing the car in tomorrow for a diagnosis.
Lt's see if they can easily understand what's going on.

Thank you for your help if anyone already experienced this issue.

Giovanni

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the transmission dipstick after driving for 20 min, level ground, running when hot, is it at the full line?
Is the ATF+4 fluid clean? Does it smell burnt at all? Have you ever installed new fluid & trans filter ?
The 42RLE transmission is electronically controlled & have them check for any stored problem codes. Post any codes back here.
They should also be able to obtain the cvi (clutch volume index) information.

JohnnyAc

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply I'll check this with the garage and keep you updated.

JohnnyAc

Reaction score
Check the transmission dipstick after driving for 20 min, level ground, running when hot, is it at the full line?
Is the ATF+4 fluid clean? Does it smell burnt at all? Have you ever installed new fluid & trans filter ?
The 42RLE transmission is electronically controlled & have them check for any stored problem codes. Post any codes back here.
They should also be able to obtain the cvi (clutch volume index) information.

Well I did a first electronic diagnostic, I do not have the error code but it seems it is a lack of pressure from a faulty or leaking injector. I'll bring the car in tomorrow to further investigate the problem.

Let's see and let's hope it is anything too complicated

Thank you again,

Giovanni

Members online

No members online now.