2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7 4x4 AUTO knocking sound(with video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewMexicoJeeps

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster but I've used the site before to replace an Alternator and do a radiator flush on this same Jeep before.

We have an 2004 Liberty 3.7 4x4 AUTO that is making an awful sound, it sounds like it's coming from one of the cylinders. Started the Jeep this morning, made a rough sound but I figured it was just from the cold was in the 30F range, in the teens last night, let it warm for a minute, drove off and heard a knocking sound, pulled over at the end of the street and opened the hood. Checked the oil, it was super low, so I put in about 3-3.5 quarts of 10w30 (I know its the wrong weight, but it's all I had handy) and let it warm up again. Still making the same noise, I turned and drove it straight home and parked it and recorded the noise.

It had an oil change about 4-5 months ago, driven less than 10miles a day, and was my mom's car for the previous 8 years, she wasn't the best but she got it serviced every so often and never even used the 4x4 but 2-3xs at most.

It has 98,000 miles. I did notice some gummy residue on the inside of the oil cap, is that a leaky head gasket? How scared should I be? Am I going to have to give a mechanic my first born?

I also noticed that the ****** fluid is kinda low, would that have anything to do with any of this?

I'll upload the video right now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVqCdL7_G2Y&feature=youtu.be) but please let me know what you think, I'm pretty handy when I need to be and could enlist some help if it's a DIY job. Any help here would be so incredibly helpful!

Thanks!

[YT]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RVqCdL7_G2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
:icon_eek::icon_eek:
I am sure I would not be revving it up like that
It was 3-3.5 quarts low:icon_eek: Only takes 5 total so you only had 1.5 or 2 quarts left in and wonder why you have a knock
BEST advice, have it towed to a professional

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well what do you want to hear, sorry I don't have bedside manners just say it like it is.
It has a heck of knock in the engine, you've already said you've ran it low on oil, doesn't sound like its had the best maintenance done to it over the years.
SO best bet is to take it to someone who can give it a good going over.
That is unless you are a mechanic ? and-or have done mechanical work in the past and can do an oil pressure check, pull the valve covers off to see what it looks like in the , possibly the heads etc.
Some gunk inside the oil cap is normal if you don't run them for a good distance to get them warmed up and only make short trips

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odds are you likely have serious engine damage. That (only) 1.5 quarts that was left in the oil pan would have gotten pumped up and out of there before some oil was able to make it's way back down, leaving the oil pan empty, as well as leaving your bearings with no oil. After that, critical parts start to turn to toast real fast. The oil was changed 4-5 months ago. Is that the last time the hood's been opened for maintenance?

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what mine looks like right now after hearing that exact same sound. Mine had oil in it though.
02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4659-img-20140124-154917-662.jpg

I have read many places where the oil has been maintained on these 3.7 engines, only to find that a day or two later they have only 1.5 to 2 qts left in there. Search the internet. You'll find them too. My oil looked fine, my water was fine, never overheated, and same sound. The mechanic said that mine was blown and needs a new engine. Sorry to bear bad news.

Best of luck!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
A day or two later?

So it would have had to MASSIVELY leak or BURN out.

Losing that much oil in 1-2 days will result in the following:

a HUGE oil spot on the ground.
a GREASY rear window.
a HUGE plume of blue exhaust smoke.

Trust me...

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few of them found a hole in their block, others broken pistons. You have to figure that some people are not mechanically inclined, like my mom, but she had her car checked at every fill up and had the oil changed every 3000 miles, because that was what dad taught us to do. But if her engine was blowing white or blue smoke, I doubt she would have known that it was a blown engine. I am sure that she would have stopped, but that is what the posters said they did too. Just saying, a blown engine on the 3.7L engine is not necessarily bad maintenance. The engine has design problems and the failure rate of the engines that reported failures, were at an avg of 97000 miles. The OP is at 98000 and mine is at 134000.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't necessarily responding to your post. I've read a lot of posts here where people condemn the OP. Why kick him when he is down. **it happens! He now has a problem, and is asking for help, not condemnation. I forget the poor kids name who blew his engine due to poor maintenance. All the crud people gave him about it. It was a wonder he stuck around.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I wasn't necessarily responding to your post. I've read a lot of posts here where people condemn the OP. Why kick him when he is down. **it happens! He now has a problem, and is asking for help, not condemnation. I forget the poor kids name who blew his engine due to poor maintenance. All the crud people gave him about it. It was a wonder he stuck around.

If we're thinking about the same person, he deserved it.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is he who we speak not of. His thread almost made me leave the forum, because as a new member of the forum, that is not the way I would treat anyone, nor would I ever tolerate anyone treating me that way. If there was already a history with him, I didn't know it, and will have to take your word on it. It wasn't a very classy thread to say the least. I just wanted to make sure this person doesn't get treated that way.

I know how this guy already feels. Mine is recent too, so the wounds are still fresh. Blowing an engine *****! You already feel guilty even if you did nothing wrong. I know, because I did. Then the realization that you have some pretty huge decisions to make come next and the money all of that will cost is not something most people have laying around.

I guess I am being hyper sensitive. I don't mean to be, for that I am sorry!

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again! Okay got rid of some. And some people think know one talks to me.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saying, to lose that much oil that quickly, you're going to know some way or another.
Some way = checking the oil periodically to know the engine is using it, and top off as needed.
Another = don't maintain the engine and find out the hard way when you run too low on oil.

Latest posts

Members online