2003 Liberty Limited Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apukareem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my Jeep for a few months now, and noticed when it rains I get water in the passenger side floor.

I've seen a lot of people around the net having the same issues, but haven't been able to troubleshoot the cause.

It seems to be coming from underneath the carpeting.

Does anyone have any ideas of places I can look to see if anything is clogged or where it is coming from?

I heard about checking the evaporator, or the sunroof drains, but have no idea where they are or how to clean/check them.

Also, any tips on cleaning it up?

And finally, if any of you have experienced the same thing, do you have any rust issues? Is this something that is very important to fix to prevent rusting of the body?

Thanks,

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Liberty Sport and I've begun to notice the same thing. The passenger's side carpet is always wet. I use my shop vac to suck up the water in the carpet.

I don't have a sunroof so I know it's not that drain but I do hear a whistle as I drive down the road. Maybe my weatherstripping is poor around the door on that side.

The winter weather is here now so I won't have to worry about any rain until March or April. Let us know if you find your leak.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a sun roof that is most likely where your problem is. I had the same problem. If you dont have a sunroof check front windshield and the roof rack area

Here is the instructions I originally posted on another thread concerning the subject over on Lost.:

Yes definately. I had the same problem 3 months ago.

When it rained I would get water on the passengers side carpet. I only noticed after a severe rain and had 3" of water on the passengers floor.

The drains are located in the front corners of both sides of the sunroof. The drains run down the A pillars. The easiest thing would be to open up your sun roof and look in the front corners with a flashlight. You will see a black plastic flattened looking funnel that connects directly to the tube and it has no screen on it. (Not a good design Chrysler!) I learned this the hard way by taking everything apart. (mine had pieces of oak seed in the funnel part right at the hole opening) That is most likely where the problem is.

Do not try to blow out the funnel if you see an obstruction try to remove it with needle nose pliers or shop vac with a crevis tool. If you cannot you will need to follow the directions below, clear the drain tubes then take air and blow the disconnected funnel out towards the sun roof.

If you dont see anything blocking the holes then you need to do the following to check the drain lines:

Remove the A Pillar covers with sock wrench (forget the exact size). You also need to unscrew the sun visors, you don't have to remove them though, you can let them hang out of the way. You also will need to remove the interior roof trim molding by the door. Once this is complete you can pull down the headliner enough to get your hand in the space between the headliner and the roof. You will see the black tube run right up to the corner near the sunroof. It just pulls off from the nipple, there is no hose clamp holding them together. I pulled the hose from under the headliner to where it was exposed enough so I could use my human powered blower to see if the was blocked. You could here the line was clear.

After I completed the instructions above only to find out that the lines were clear, I looked in the corners of the sun roof and found my problem. If I had only looked there first would have saved my self some time.

All that said the project stated above took about 30 minutes to complete per side.

Dont forget, you need to remove the bottom trim moldings and pull up the carpet to soak up all of the water hiding in all the areas of the floor pan. The carpet of the KJ has thick foam padding attached. I thought the carpet was dry ( and felt dry to the touch) only to find out the the padding was still water logged and the floor pan is not flat and has areas that could hold 1/2 gallon or more of liquid.

I was going to cut out my carpet and install herculiner so I would not have to worry about drying it out again, but I'm glad I did'nt, for what ever reason both sides of the floor contain large bundles of wires for the KJ systems and again the floor pans are not flat. You would think they would do a better job routing the wires.

Well good luck.

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54435&start=0

apukareem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately we just got a bunch of snow/cold weather out here, so I may have to wait a bit to check it out.
But thanks for the details, and I definitely know where to look now.

A question, if the sunroof is closed, how it water going into the drains? shouldn't there be a seal and the water just run down the roof?

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
unfortunately we just got a bunch of snow/cold weather out here, so I may have to wait a bit to check it out.

A question, if the sunroof is closed, how it water going into the drains? shouldn't there be a seal and the water just run down the roof?

I could be that your seal is going bad, when the weather is good, open it up and take a good look inside and around the seal area.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is a seal there but the next time you get in your vehicle stand on the door sill and put your hand on the sunroof you will see you can move it up and down alittle bit. Not the best seal in the world unless its brand new or you clean the rubber seal and the area on the roof where the seal makes contact all the time and even then it will still leak slightly, i.e. the reason why the Jeep installed the drain lines there in the first place.

Last edited:

apukareem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I finally figured out the water leak in my Libby.

Thought I would post my results in case anyone else has the same issue.

The site here talks about replacing the factory tweeters in a libby, what helped me out what is also talked and showed pictures to remove the A pillars and what size torx bit you need.

I took off the A pillar covers on my passenger side, as well as took down part way the visor and headliner to get a good view of the sunroof and the tube for the drain

I ended up finding out that the drain tube was not connected to the drain, and that is why my libby was leaking.

I pulled the headliner away gently enough to re-secure the tube into the drain and voila, all done.

Members online

No members online now.