2003 KJ Liberty AC Compressor replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redsnake

Reaction score
I've been reading every forum and internet site I can find (which could be a problem... ha) regarding AC Compressor etal issues.

My wife's '03 KJ Liberty's AC Compressor Clutch is on it's way out. Started this past weekend w/that awful metal on metal grinding and slight burning smell coming w/the AC Compressor. It's constant whether the AC is on or off. It happened while we were out of town on going to my brothers wedding...

So after paying $800 to get it towed back home I was able to bypass the AC using a shorter belt and get it on the road. However, having temps in the upper 90's isn't a fun driving experience... for my wife... and therefore not for me either.

Now my questions. What I can gather, I've read anything from just replace the compressor clutch, must replace the compressor and clutch as a unit (and in replacing the compressor the system would be open so I'd have to replace the Accumulator/Dryer and Orifice Tube as well... and get the system flushed and recharged). What is the general consensus here? Anyone ever changed just the clutch? Have any long-term success?

We have a very good mechanic that we've used on/off in the past. He's not the cheapest, but one of the best around our area. He quoted me ~ $1500 for the repair job (Flush, Replace AC Compressor/Clutch, Accumulator/Dryer, Orifice Tube, Coolant Charge, labor and 3 yr warranty on Compressor) ... I HATE to drop that amount of coin on this rig right now... so any 'cheaper' solutions would be appreciated.

The AC Compressor never seized up, hasn't ever been open and so I don't think the lines/system should have any debris. Can I just swap the Compressor and Accumulator/Dryer and then go to another shop and have them suck out any air and recharge the system? This is what I'm contemplating, but don't want to have to go through this repair again in 4-6 months. Thanks for the suggestions...

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just swap the Compressor and Accumulator/Dryer and then go to another shop and have them suck out any air and recharge the system? This is what I'm contemplating, but don't want to have to go through this repair again in 4-6 months. Thanks for the suggestions...

That's what I'm gonna do.....just leave the clutch wire unplugged and you will be hood

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I would say yes - just change the compressor dryer/receiver but if you had a noisy compressor even when the clutch is not energized you may have a bad bearing sending some crap in the refrigeration lines.

Redsnake

Reaction score
Normally I would say yes - just change the compressor dryer/receiver but if you had a noisy compressor even when the clutch is not energized you may have a bad bearing sending some crap in the refrigeration lines.

I could be wrong, but I thought if the AC clutch was going out it would be making noise and have that 'burning' smell no matter if you have the AC 'turned on' or not?

I found a handy how-to online

Sparky's Answers: 2002 Jeep Liberty Intermitent A/C Cooling

And from a few other things I've read I'm hopeful to be able to get by with just swapping in a new clutch and not needing to open up the AC system. I found the clutch and ordered a set of tools (always good to have tools) so for < $200 I'm hopeful to get this worked out. Now just waiting on my clutch to come in so I can see what happens.

Redsnake

Reaction score
Followup:

I was able to swap the clutch coil and bearing pulley assembly and got the AC going again. After pulling the OE pulley off (WHAT A BEAR THAT WAS) it appears the bearing failed and was generating a LOT of heat which also lead to the melting of the front of the magnetic clutch coil and the ultimate demise of it.

During the assembly and trying to press the new Bearing Pulley back on the AC hub the rubber surround of the bearing got a slight nick... so hopefully that won't lead to a quick failure, but at least I know it can be replaced. Next time it should be an easier/quicker fix if needed.

Very glad to have my wife's AC back in working order and that it didn't cost us >$1500 to get it done. :)

Latest posts

Members online