2003 Input shaft removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rant72

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had experience either with removing the input shaft from the manual transmissions, or with repair sleeves for them.

Rockauto lists the following for a repair sleeve: More Information for NATIONAL 99138

I also found the following for a replacement input shaft: http://www.carparts.com/details/Jee...UvN8NrLC2O4oLzc1A74rKsIaAqf18P8HAQ&redirect=1

I would just replace the input shaft, but I'm curious how far I will have to tear into the ****** to do so. Does anyone know if you can just remove the bearing retainer cover and remove the input shaft from the front of the ******?

The input shaft is considerably worn, to the point that I'm not sure how much faith I would have in the repair sleeve holding up. Anyone else faced this yet?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my clutch, the pilot bearing had disintegrated and chewed up the input shaft. The stock bearing is about 1/2" long, so I found a 1" bearing that spanned the worn channel and rides on the good metal that was on either side of the worn spot. The hole in the crank is plenty deep enough to accommodate a longer bearing.

Rant72

Reaction score
I thought I had read about someone doing that, but I ended up buying an input shaft instead. I've never been inside of a standard transmission before so I figured it'd be a good learning experience. I'll be popping it open here in the next couple hours.

I probably should have ordered a rebuild kit too, but I can't justify dumping another 2 - 300 on top of everything else that has gone wrong on me so far. Seems like every time I turn around its another $100 going into this thing.

Is there any pictures anyone would like while I have it apart? I'll probably take some reguardless just because this kind of shit is cool as hell to me.

On a side note, has anyone else come up with a good way to get the broken ****** cross member bolts out of the "frames" on these? It's a wonder the ****** didn't drop out of this thing for how rotten the Chinese hardware was.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tearing apart the trans was my last resort. After figuring a wider bearing would work, and now after 2+ years of proven success, I'm glad I went the bearing route. Oh well, sounds like you've been looking for a fun project to spend extra money and time on. lol

rsscoggins

Reaction score
When I replaced my clutch, the pilot bearing had disintegrated and chewed up the input shaft. The stock bearing is about 1/2" long, so I found a 1" bearing that spanned the worn channel and rides on the good metal that was on either side of the worn spot. The hole in the crank is plenty deep enough to accommodate a longer bearing.

I know this thread is a couple of years old but Do you have a part number on this wider bearing?

Members online

No members online now.