2002 Liberty will start, but doen't keep running!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty & Justice

Reaction score
This morning I tried to start my Jeep and it would turn over, but then die. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and a friend of mine looked at it and cleaned the battery cable, that was corroded and it has been fine since, but now it's doing it again. My neighbor checked the battery cables and they were fine, he left them off for awhile so that if it was a sensor it may reset itself and stay running, but that didn't work. Any suggestions? [-o<

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
did u test the battery? see how much charge is in there...?

could be the alternator too..(the one on me blazer just died...and it sounds like what happened to me....)

2003KJ

Reaction score
How many miles do you have on your KJ?

The Batteries apparently do not last very long fresh out of the factory. I just noticed my cable had severe corrosion on it, and it's only 3 years old.

Jeepin Al

Reaction score
Check the thottle body, they get dirty and the KJ will stall at an idle. It will restart, just to stall again.

Al

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the battery - something very similar happend with my '02 KJ not all that long ago.

Jeepin Al

Reaction score
That's interesting, I am really living on borrowed time, my battery is original to my 2002, which I got in Oct. of '01. I will remember that when I have the same condition!

Al