2002 Jeep Liberty sport limited 3.7 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adorea

Reaction score
If I have posted this wrong, sorry in advance. ok here's the problem:
We were on the interstate coming home when the engine lost power and there was a knocking. we got off interstate and checked fluids, all the oil was gone. We check fluids before we left and all were perfect. Had it towed to my house, filled up oil and turned engine over nothing so we replaced the starter and turned the jeep over and heard the loudest knock ever, sure you could hear a couple miles down the road. turned engine off immediately and have not turned it over since. I have read it could be a rod came off. Any help would be great I love my Jeep and want to drive it not the ford.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have posted this wrong, sorry in advance. ok here's the problem:
We were on the interstate coming home when the engine lost power and there was a knocking. we got off interstate and checked fluids, all the oil was gone. We check fluids before we left and all were perfect. Had it towed to my house, filled up oil and turned engine over nothing so we replaced the starter and turned the jeep over and heard the loudest knock ever, sure you could hear a couple miles down the road. turned engine off immediately and have not turned it over since. I have read it could be a rod came off. Any help would be great I love my Jeep and want to drive it not the ford.

Surprised you decided to replace the starter. Clearly you did some major internal engine damage and will need to have it rebuilt or replaced. Bone dry oil makes me think you might have put a hole in the block. No oil leaking from anywhere?

Adorea

Reaction score
no oil leaks any where and I always check if we go futher than town to make sure all is good thats why i was like Huh no oil.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The oil had to go somewhere..
Unfortunately anytime you discover a driving/ zero oil condition and knocks or loud clunks, one can safely assume your engine is now..
58500[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

You can pull both valve covers to have a peak in there, but assume a replacement engine will be needed.

Attachments

• Toasted.jpg
    Toasted.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely you damaged the cylinder walls pretty good. You also may have done tons of damage to the main crank bearings as well.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you through a bearing its not worth rebuilding unless it has low k,s i would look for another engine.

Adorea

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information. i am looking at buying a 2003 engine to replace the 02. Luckily if it is good condition and all I will only be out around 250.00 for the new one.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information. i am looking at buying a 2003 engine to replace the 02. Luckily if it is good condition and all I will only be out around 250.00 for the new one.

That should work out. I'd go through the new engine and replace a few parts proactively before dropping it in. Water pump, valve cover gaskets, etc...

Latest posts

Members online