2 questions...electrical and engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, these may be stupid, but bear with me - I am fairly new to Jeep. Both of these are hearsay:

1) I had heard that the Cherokee electrical system was an absolute nightmare to repair and diagnose. Is this true, and if so, how is the KJ's system?

2) It was brought up to me that DCX may have used a plastic timing chain. Anyone who's had this apart, is it true?

Thanks! Trying to find out before I go and make my purchase.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, these may be stupid, but bear with me - I am fairly new to Jeep. Both of these are hearsay:

1) I had heard that the Cherokee electrical system was an absolute nightmare to repair and diagnose. Is this true, and if so, how is the KJ's system?

2) It was brought up to me that DCX may have used a plastic timing chain. Anyone who's had this apart, is it true?

Thanks! Trying to find out before I go and make my purchase.
Well any mordern vehicles electrical system is a nightmare to diagnose unless you have the proper schmatics and tools(OBDII scanner/code reader),they aren't that bad really just need the wire diagrams.The timing chains in the KJ are metal(all 3 of them) but does use a a high density plastic chain guides and tensioners.They are the same ones used in the 4.7L V-8's to,they seem to stand up really well.Haven't heard of many problems with them even with high mileage engines.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The Cherokee's Renix engine management system was a pain. It was used from 1987 to 1991, when Chrysler redesigned the electronics. You may have heard that story.

There is no plastic timing chain in the 3.7L.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, that Renix must be what I heard of.

Cool on the timing chain - most, if not all, use that same plastic tensioner. I know the GM 3800 series does.