2 ohm and 4 ohm amps/subs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the heck do they hook up? I just ordered a 2ohm mtx sub and a mtx amp. The amp says 2ohm 400 watts, and 4 ohm 200 watts. My question is how do u hook up the amp to the sub to get 2ohm and 4 ohm? I know it would be best to get the 400 watts so y do ppl ever get 4ohm subs?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually when you get your sub, it should have wiring directions on how to wire it correctly for whatever ohm's you want to use.

Bennett

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your amp output will depend on the impedance of the speaker and there is no setting (unless you have a dual-voice coil speaker) to change the impedance. The reason for different impedance speakers (2 ohm vs. 4 ohm etc.) is to properly match the output power of your amp. If your speaker is only rated at 200 watts and is 2 ohms, your 400 watt amp at 2 ohms will smoke that speaker. Now, if you have two- 4 ohm speakers rated at 200 watts, putting them in parallel will now match the output of the amp. Hope this helps.

Mike

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Series: R = R1 + R2
Parallel: 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2

So to answer your question, all you have to do to connect your 2ohm sub up as a 2ohm load is connect + to + and - to -, and it will just work.

The reason people get 4Ohm subs is so that they can power more than one of them. Two 4 Ohm subs in parallel is a net load of 2Ohms:

1/R = 1/4 + 1/4
R = 2

It's the best way to load up more than one speaker to get the best sound. Despite having a lower power transferred, you will probably get a better sound out of a speaker with a larger load. I'm not entirely sure on this one, so don't just believe me without researching on google, but I know that home speakers are generally 8Ohm load.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, ive got it all figured out. After getting my amp and looking at it, its alot clearer now, thx guys. and ill be hooking it up in a 2ohm load, 400 watts. I got a mtx 12in 7500 in a sledge hammer box from the local dealer and for some reason its been a week and it just shipped today, so it wont be here until next week, im about to die. Lol, ive already ran all the wiring and everything so when it gets here all i have to do is drop it in.