2.5 crd poor starting when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

webbie

Reaction score
Anybody know if the 2.5 crd (EURO SPEC) has a glowplug module or are the two relays in the engine fusebox driven directly by the ecm. Have changed all 4 glowplugs but still have to wind it up when it drops below -3 c. It calls up a control module for the 2.8 but this has the ceramic type glow plugs and I think operates differantly. Can't see one in the engine bay thats for sure.

webbie

Reaction score
cheers tony it must be the 2.8 thats calling up a control module will have to dig a bit deeper and see what the ecm is doing on cold crank.

Nikko

Reaction score
Anybody know if the 2.5 crd (EURO SPEC) has a glowplug module or are the two relays in the engine fusebox driven directly by the ecm. Have changed all 4 glowplugs but still have to wind it up when it drops below -3 c. It calls up a control module for the 2.8 but this has the ceramic type glow plugs and I think operates differantly. Can't see one in the engine bay thats for sure.

I am having a similar problem with my 2004 2.5 CRD. First thing in the morning it takes a bit of cranking (only a couple of seconds) to get the engine to fire. It almost fires then cranks some more and then finaly fires. I was thinking of changing glow plugs and have just removed engine cover to take a look at how easy (or hard) it may be. It dos'nt look too bad.

How easy did you find it, how much were the new glow plugs and did you get them from a dealer? Any info would be greatly recieved so i can decide if i should do job myself or take to a garage.

Nikko.

webbie

Reaction score
glow plugs off e-bay where only £14 for the 4 autolite and they are a known brand. the job was quite easy first one from the front from ontop extension bar and deep socket you can get in just behind the alternator. the other 3 all from underneath found it best with a 10mm ring spanner to start them off. The second from the back need the air intake elbow removing just 3 bolts as there is not enough clearance to pull the glow plug out. Didn't make any differance to the starting though. But looking at tony's reply my light never comes on more than 4 seconds even at - 10 and never has for 10 seconds. next time it drops i am going to just leave it on longer after the light has gone out and see if it makes any differance.

webbie

Reaction score
Seems if you ignore the lamp and just give it 6-8 seconds it fires up fine. We have had a -5 morning and the light went out after 2 seconds I left the ignition on for 6 and it was fine. Might be something to try if anybody else is having issues.