1st Jeep ever (Aussie)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always had a fondness to the look of Jeeps, so I went out and finally got my first one a few days ago. Its the 2001 v6 3.7L. Still learning about it as before this all I have ever owned was old 4 cyl Toyota's.
This is my first car with power anything, and I feel im learning how to drive a spaceship with all these options!

I have a few small issues with the car, but I bought it cheap so I expected as much. Am in the process of getting a manual so I can have a in depth read about some things, dont want to swamp the forum with a thousand questions. :icon_lol:

Hoping to learn as much as I can from the experts!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(welcome)

Am in the process of getting a manual so I can have a in depth read about some things, dont want to swamp the forum with a thousand questions. :icon_lol:

Double-check that your manual is in the little cubby/slot in the top of the glovebox - Jeep likes to hide things in plain sight :party52:

Bob

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yes, Jeep does like to play hide and seek with things.
Thankyou uss2defiant for the link! Wish I had come here sooner!
Something as simple as the fog lamp symbol on the dash had me confused for days XD

I had another key made yesterday because I was only given the one and it falls out of the ignition. New one was cut wider on purpose and now it stays in the ignition - phew.

One slight issue is if I lock the car with the internal power lock switch the alarm will sound no matter which key I use to unlock the door, so thats a bit annoying. Will have to sort that out as manually locking the whole car with kids is a nuisance.
I dont have a mobile fob either, so how will I go about getting one?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome KingCur. Looks like you are getting good info/help already. Not sure about the key question Maybe you have an alarm system and need a chipped key? Get a "build sheet" from jeep.com under owner services and see all the options in your jeep when it was built.

Dave

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key I have is a grey chip/transponder key. It will deactivate the alarm once in the ignition, I just don't understand why it doesn't deactivate it when I'm unlocking the door. Means I open the door and have to race to put the key in the ignition because the alarm is going off haha.
Im thinking ill have to get a remote fob so that I dont have to stress with unlocking the doors with a key at all

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. you'll need a remote to unlock the door and disable the alarm.
the immobilizer key is security kill your engine when a non-immobilizer key is used to start the engine.
Besides that, there's no sensor at the door that'll work with the immobilizer.

If i'm not mistaken, if you don't already have one remote, you'll unfortunately need to go to the dealership to get it taken care of.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I have been reading. I would really like one for convenience sake so I will look into it.
Also, is it normal for it to beep at me 15-20 seconds after starting the engine? There are no warning lights or anything lighting up and its only one singular loud beep but it scares the crap out of me every time!