14mpg!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fiasco

Reaction score
2003 Liberty Renegade.

We got it a month ago and are averaging 14.1 miles per gallon. All highway, no stop and go, no stop lights.

Is it supposed to be that bad? The window sticker sure didn't reflect it in the manufacturers fuel economy statements.

Boaz

Reaction score
Fiasco said:
2003 Liberty Renegade.

We got it a month ago and are averaging 14.1 miles per gallon. All highway, no stop and go, no stop lights.

Is it supposed to be that bad? The window sticker sure didn't reflect it in the manufacturers fuel economy statements.

I get 19MPG in my 05 limited with hwy city mix. Check tire pressure, air filter , change the oil... um dunno have you tried different brands of gas? How fast do you drive? How many miles do you have on it? It may still be breaking in.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
thats like my city....my highway is near 20's...(if im easy on the pedal)

like what boaz already said, check ur tires (big culprit in bad MPG)
some of us have found doing near 40 psi on the tires (on the 16") have done some improvements on MPG. I also use mobil 1 synth and k n n drop in air filter.....it's helped a bit too...

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Exhaust can help too. I gained like 50 more miles a tank, but only drawback is it is louder.

EDIT: Go check your air filter!!! if it is really dirty it will make all the difference!

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He didn't mention how fast he's going on the freeway. Or if the AC was on, windows down... I noticed my mileage drop to 18mpg, when I cruising at 75mph. But other than that, If I keep it at 70mph on the cruise control, I bank 22mpg.

As for the mileage sticker, those numbers repersent ideal condition, on flat road, no wind, perfect humidity, a cool day, and probably the luck of the Irish. They're just a "best case-average" of what you might get.

You'll notice below the number it says, 14 and 20 mpg in the city and 18 and 26 mpg on the highway, and on the opposite side it says, 10 to 14 mpg city and 14 to 30 mpg highway.

The EPA need to rework these statements...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '04 usually gets about 18 with mixed driving. Interstate, just two weekends ago, with four people, almost 22. I have seen up to 24 on the EVIC.

2003KJ

Reaction score
as said, air filters and tire pressure make all the difference.

I used to get about 14 on mine...bone stock. Upped the pressure in the sr-a's from 32psi to 38psi and get about 16 now on average. And that is 98% city driving.

Fiasco

Reaction score
Its a 2003 renegade and it has 8000 miles on it. My wife drives it and she is not a lead foot, particularly in an unfamiliar vehicle. Her trip to work is about 20 miles, all freeway at about 65-70 MPH. She is 3rd shift so the interstates are empty for her.

I assume the air is on.

Boaz

Reaction score
Fiasco said:
Its a 2003 renegade and it has 8000 miles on it. My wife drives it and she is not a lead foot, particularly in an unfamiliar vehicle. Her trip to work is about 20 miles, all freeway at about 65-70 MPH. She is 3rd shift so the interstates are empty for her.

I assume the air is on.

I would check the Air fitler. I pulled mine out at about 9000 miles and it was full of crap and was very dirty. I got a new puralator for 8 bucks and my wife noted she is getting close to 20mpg hand calculated now.

what is your tire pressure set at?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Tire Pressure and Air filter! Here's mine at 9K. 14MPG is Durango territory on a good day! \:D/

You must be registered for see images attach

What you don't see is the crud, bugs and plant seeds packed between the folds. Yuck!

Boaz

Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Tire Pressure and Air filter! Here's mine at 9K. 14MPG is Durango territory on a good day! \:D/

You must be registered for see images attach

What you don't see is the crud, bugs and plant seeds packed between the folds. Yuck!
\

My air filter looked exactly like that.!!!!! Look at all that black crap!!!!

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on the KJ ?

Do you know any of the previous maintenance that was performed on it prior to you purchasing it ? If it has over 30k, a spark plug replacement, throttle body cleaning, air pressure check (as all others have posted--I run 35 psi cold x4) and an air filter would definitely be a great place to start for a chance at improving fuel economy.

My wife's '02 would only get high 17's 90% of the time and low 18's 10% of the time....and she is a somewhat conservative driver.

Investigate the previous maintenance history and make a sound decision from there.

Greg

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Dang, 9k? How many months is that? I better check mine...
7 months. I suggest you checking it out. However, I noticed a mileage DROP right after installation of the new filter. That lasted for a few days, then I was UP to 18. Don't know what was going on, but oh well.

Beware... our filter is kinda expensive. I was able to pick one up for $11.99. Others were even as low as $3.99. :-s

Boaz

Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
grogiefrog said:
7 months. I suggest you checking it out. However, I noticed a mileage DROP right after installation of the new filter. That lasted for a few days, then I was UP to 18. Don't know what was going on, but oh well.

Beware... our filter is kinda expensive. I was able to pick one up for $11.99. Others were even as low as $3.99. :-s

Puralator, 9 bucks at advanced auto.. Amsoil Filter is 11.00 cost .... (Aeh)

T^2

Reaction score
I strongly advise against compensating for poor fuel mileage by increasing tire pressure beyond specifications.

There is a correct tire pressure specification for every vehicle/tire combination. This "correct tire pressure" ensures that the tire has the correct profile for the weight (vehicle/axle) that it is supposed to carry. Both under and over inflated tires can be unsafe and cause additional wear and tear on the vehicle and tires.

One thing to note - the maximum tire pressure rating on the sidewall of the tire is for the maximum tire pressure required for the tire to bear it's maximum load rating. This is not the same thing as the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle. Your vehicle, even under load, may not weigh enough to even come close to the maximum load rating of the tire. Case in point - my Ranger has 31.5x10.5x15 floatation tires. These tires work just fine on full size pickups. Obviously the Ranger will never be as heavy (loaded or unloaded) as a full size pickup. Hence, my recommended tire pressure is well below the maximum tire pressure rating on the sidewall of the tire. If I exceed the recommended tire pressure, then my Ranger is no longer heavy enough to create the correct tire profile.

You should make sure that the tires have the correct pressure for the vehicle on which they are mounted. You can fine this information on the door sticker or in the owner’s manual.

If you should go to a non specified OE tire size, then you should ask the tire installer (or call the tire manufacturer) what the recommended tire pressure should be for your tire and vehicle combination.

Get an accurate pressure gauge and make sure you follow these recommendations. Check your tire pressure at least monthly. In between tire pressure checks visually inspect your tires daily. Here's what to look for.

Over inflation profile:

You must be registered for see images

Proper inflation profile:

Under inflation profile:

You can also use chalk to verify that you have the right tire pressure. Draw a line across the surface of the tire. Roll the vehicle in straight line so that the tire turns a couple of revolutions. Check the chalk marks. If the chalk marks is worn off all the way across the tire surface then you have the right tire pressure. If your tires are over inflated then your results will probably look something like this:

If your tires are under inflated they will look something like this:

Over inflated tires reduce the tires contact patch with the road and therefore reduces traction for turning, braking, inclement weather etc. Over inflated tires can cause serious steering control problems especially at higher speeds. Over inflated tires wear out faster and cause more wear and tear on the vehicles suspension parts because they can't absorb the shocks as well from abnormalities in the road (pot holes etc.).

Under inflated tires are said to be the leading cause of tire failure. Under inflation increases rolling resistance and heat. There is less "air" to support the load (overloaded tire) and the sidewalls have to make up for it. The increased sidewall flexing and generated heat causes damage to the tire and can cause blowouts and tread separation. Obviously the increase friction and heat reduces fuel mileage. The sidewall strength is reduced and can cause handling problems. Tire contact patch is also reduced - further compromising the handling and traction characteristics of the tire.

Bottom line - make sure your tires are set at the "correct" tire pressure for your vehicle. Don't try to out smart the engineers who designed the thing (most people are not qualified to do so.)

There are other things you can look at besides tire pressure to improve fuel mileage. Make sure air filters are changed and other periodic maintenance is done. Make sure that your engine/transmission controls have the latest updated flashes. Another thing to check are your driving habits.

When all prudent measures (fooling with tire pressure not being one of them) have been done to correct fuel mileage, then there comes a point where you are just going to have to learn to live with what you got. You can only get so much efficiency out of an engine/transmission/vehicle combination. If this combination doesn't meet with your satisfaction and it's a significant enough issue for you, than perhaps a new/different vehicle is in order.

Fiasco

Reaction score
Boaz said:
marlonjbt said:
grogiefrog said:

Puralator, 9 bucks at advanced auto.. Amsoil Filter is 11.00 cost .... (Aeh)

I'll be putting in a k&n rechargable filter.

Members online

No members online now.