08 Liberty Refrigerant Smell though vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sergeptx

Reaction score
Hi guys. Well I've been having trouble with my AC since the end of April. It all started with refrigerant smell coming from the vents and all of a sudden the ac stopped working, nothing but hot air coming out. I check the low and high pressure and they were perfect. I saw that the compressor would kick in for 5 seconds, shuts off and then on a couple time and then completely off. So I took it to a tech and he said that the compressor was not working. He wanted to charge me bout $800 to fix. I decided I would order the compressor, rent a pump and do it myself. I bought a reman compressor with a new drier and replace both. I evacuated the system with the pump and made sure there was a vacuum and also made sure there was no leaks. Vacuum held after 20 minutes so went ahead and tried to recharge the system. The system wouldnt charge. The compressor kicks in for 5 seconds, shuts off and then on a couple time and then completely off. I called a mechanic friend of mine and said that I should also replace the expansion valve. So I replaced the valve, evacuated system, held vacuum tried to recharge and same thing. Does anyone have an idea or has anyone had this issue that can help me. It is 104 degrees and it ***** driving.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Taken to a dealer for instance, they would re-charge first using a colored die installed, to trace leaks.
I was quoted $225 to do the recharge here. So now that you got a new compressor etc, why not let dealer use their AC equipment and give it a try...??