06 Liberty Diesel Idler Pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wazmer

Reaction score
An idler pulley locked up on my CRD this morning and I cannot find the part anywhere. Not any auto parts store online or otherwise. I assume it must be different than the gas engine and the availability is due to the uncommon nature of the liberty diesel. Does anyone know of anything that will work in its place? I am trying to avoid used parts if I can as this is obviously something you don’t want failing away from home

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This CRD diagram will help you.
You must be registered for see images attach

Wazmer

Reaction score
Update: I did finally find the part (I hope) on eBay but I’d still love alternative suggestions if there are any for something I could get locally and not have to wait until next week

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I edited in a new image above just now, did that help?

Attachments

• CRD Pulleys.jpg
    CRD Pulleys.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 11

Wazmer

Reaction score
I edited in a new image above just now, did that help?
Thanks, I know what part I need, the problem is that there seems to be none available. I was hoping maybe someone knew of a more common pulley that would work in its place

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What aftermarket part number are you searching?
I'm one of the few that has changed into Delco real steel bearing pulleys.

Attachments

• Tensioner Idler Steel.jpg
    Tensioner Idler Steel.jpg
    889.6 KB · Views: 13

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
ID Parts has CRD engine parts. Probably not local though. 2.8 CRD idler pulleys are left hand thread; timing and serpentine belts.

Wazmer

Reaction score
What aftermarket part number are you searching?
I'm one of the few that has changed into Delco real steel bearing pulleys.
I’ve had trouble with part numbers. Got one from O’Reilly and another from Auto Zone. Neither of them matched what I found online.
Does that change your belt length?

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score

Christine_S

Reaction score
Did you ever find a replacement or crossover part? I have the same problem and cannot find these anywhere but England (~ 3 week shipping time). The part # I have is 68211444aa and I was hoping that there's some alternative or substitute that would be more commonly available?

The pulley is whistling something fierce, we took it off and it spins but with a little bit of noise. I'm not sure if I need to take it off the road for weeks while waiting for a $50 part to be shipped across the ocean. All I can say is, "REALLY? I only had this kind of trouble finding a part for the automatic transmission in my 1974 BMW Bavaria. Now THAT was an oddball car/configuration. But a Jeep Liberty? WTF?"

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
again...

Christine_S

Reaction score
Thank you, Michael! Sorry, when I followed the link in the thread I thought it was only for the whole kit and didn't look carefully enough to see that I can get the pulleys separately. Will do. Thanks so much for the quick (re)response!

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
Thank you, Michael! Sorry, when I followed the link in the thread I thought it was only for the whole kit and didn't look carefully enough to see that I can get the pulleys separately. Will do. Thanks so much for the quick (re)response!
NP, yeah mine went out. The pulley seized up, and it took out the serpentine belt in the middle of a turn. Which made it REALLY DIFFICULT TO COMPLETE THE TURN when the power steering went out. Not to mention, I was now stuck and had to wait for AAA to load up my Jeep and take me home. Like I said, no cooling the engine without the belt.
I have ordered numerous items from sasquatch. Usually gets to me in PA in 2 days.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
(Water pump runs off the timing belt.)

ID Parts has a lot for the 2.8 CRD too. I'm not sure if they sell individual parts.

If your serpentine belt tensioner pulley is running at an angle it's shot; it'll seem fine untensioned.

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
(Water pump runs off the timing belt.)

ID Parts has a lot for the 2.8 CRD too. I'm not sure if they sell individual parts.

If your serpentine belt tensioner pulley is running at an angle it's shot; it'll seem fine untensioned.
Fan doesn't. You might be able to get away with it on a straight highway, but start and stop traffic, and you'll be steaming. BTW, are you going to loose your brakes? I'm not sure where the vacuum pump is driven.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Hadn't thought about the fan!

I believe the vac pump is run by gears off the crank behind the timing belt.

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
Hadn't thought about the fan!

I believe the vac pump is run by gears off the crank behind the timing belt.
ah similar to a 4bt / 6bt runs off the timing gears.
BTW, I ran across something reading about Detroit Diesel / Mercedes / VM Motori ownership, and it could be said that the engines in the liberties could be called a Detroit Diesel

CTJEEP

Reaction score
I cheated....I put the OEM pulley in the lathe.... turned the rivet heads down...

Put in NACHI bearings in the steel housings.

Reassembled the unit with small allen head bolts.

I trust Nachi, more than the generic bearings in cheap parts.

Latest posts

Members online