05 LIBERTY FRONT END NOISE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireman

Reaction score
I bought a new 05 liberty (rocky mtn. edition) a few weeks ago, and it just started making noise (sporadically) from the front end. 3.7, automatic, all stock, 4,300 miles. I started it up, drove about one mile, turned into a parking lot and heard a fairly deep "grinding" and could feel it too. The wife drove about 100 feet while i listened, nothing. She turned it around, drove back in a straight line and it made the noise constantly as she went about 5 m.p.h. I could hear it equally on both sides and it was coming from behind the front wheels. It sounded like someone dragging a cinderblock across the road. I brought it to my dealer and couldnt get the noise back. They kept it for two days and couldnt get the noise back. They put it on the lift, pulled the wheels and couldnt see anything unusual after a lengthy inspection. The wife is picking it up today. Has anyone had this problem? not sure what to do next.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you sure you didn't drive over a cinder block and drag it around the parking lot? :p

ronnirons

Reaction score
Does it sound like a whirling noise, like a propeller? Dealer told me it was the tires. I'm hoping that's all it is.

fireman

Reaction score
noise

Not a cinderblock or a whirling sound. You could hear it 100 feet away at a few miles per hour. wait, before you ask, it wasnt in 4wd and i walked that far and had her pull forward towards me to see if things looked straight as it closed in on me.

fireman

Reaction score
I figured engaging 4wd might have compounded the problem.

indynewfie

Reaction score
possible culprits

I had a few issues with noise up front. Don't know if they apply here but here are somethings to consider.

1. Loose front tire. On mine, the knocking grinding was loud. Didn't think of something as simple as this, until it got so bad, the jeep started shivering, pulled over, and one of the studs had broken off.

2. Issue with the transfer case/front drift shaft. Even though not engaged, when i got underneath I was able to move it more than i thought it should (wiggle). Twice they said that wasn't it, until a third guy, replaced the transfer case and all, ..... noise all gone.

3. Mostly on turns, sometimes over bumps. Grinding and hard rattle at times. .... turned out to be loose/defective sway bar bushings.

let us know how it turns out.
(Had some issues to Iron out but now she's solid as a rock).

fireman

Reaction score
the noise has not returned. thanks for the replies.

ronsjeep

Reaction score
just found

hey had same prob found that the front passenger side axle splines were rusted totally together with the spline that comes out of front diff check this out there are no seals on this connection an will rust makes all kinds of weird noises hope this helps