03 Sub Frame Bolt Broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I brought it in for alignment today after changing the front differential and the rack and pinion. The dealership said they were having difficulty getting it aligned right then discovered the rear subframe bolt on the drivers side had been sheered off a long time ago. I suspected it was in an accident before I bought it and it has always gone through a lot of rubber. Just cant believe I never noticed this before!

So, I am thinking about drilling it out, all the way through the frame, then adding a new longer bolt with a lock nut on the top of the frame. Anyone else had this issue? Any input appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• 20140620_125214.jpg
    20140620_125214.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 33

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, you've got some serious gappage going on there! Drill it out, but first with the intention of trying to get the old bolt out, so don't take the hole all the way out to the threads. If the old bolt is going to be stubborn, then as a second choice I'd go all the way through the top after drilling it out to the proper bolt diameter. Put a thick hefty washer on the top side of the frame to spread the load.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, you've got some serious gappage going on there! Drill it out, but first with the intention of trying to get the old bolt out, so don't take the hole all the way out to the threads. If the old bolt is going to be stubborn, then as a second choice I'd go all the way through the top after drilling it out to the proper bolt diameter. Put a thick hefty washer on the top side of the frame to spread the load.

Yeah, its been there for about 4 or 5 years? I suspect the weld nut is broken loose as I can move the broken bolt pretty easily. Hopefully I can just whack it out of the way and drill the hole....