03 Sport engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

looper

Reaction score
Hot day yesterday. A/C quit cooling about an hour along. After turning the Jeep off for a few minutes, coolness came again and remained good through 2 hours more of non-stop driving. Then drove to a number of locations, stopping, starting, no problems. About a half hour into my return home, it quit cooling again. Exited and shut her down again. Did this 3 times. At the last time, metal-on-metal sound under the hood. Later, the A/C worked fine, but noise stayed. Engine temp is fine. The noise happens whether or not the A/C was running. Noise happens while moving or not. No electrical power loss, so I don't think it is the alternator. Would the water pump leave the engine temp normal? I remember having a similar noise years ago, in a Nissan Frontier. I think it was something like an idler pulley? Any ideas?

My Jeep's noise https://youtu.be/tWvbe5KoBns

And the day before, the rear driver side window regulator broke. I'm not sure whether to replace the clip, replace the whole shabang with the old style regulator ($40), put in the redesigned model ($65-85) or just propping it up with PVC or wood. I don't need the window functional anyway, and I'm REALLY short on cash. Two days, two problems, go figure! Obviously engine is all I care about at the moment. :thumbsdown:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Start by taking the Serpentine belt off & inspect each of the pulleys by spinning or trying to move them up & down.
Sounds like rocks in a coffee can eek..
If ya cant find anything, start it with belt off for a quick moment & see if it is still making the rattle.

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If ya cant find anything, start it with belt off for a quick moment & see if it is still making the rattle.

And if it is,,,,think seriously about a part time job!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

looper

Reaction score
And if it is,,,,think seriously about a part time job!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I probably don't want to know, but what is the issue if it makes the noise with the belt off?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I probably don't want to know, but what is the issue if it makes the noise with the belt off?

Think positive! And you don't want to know. Let's just say expensive things hitting expensive things that shouldn't be hitting each other.

That sounds like a pulley with dried bearings.

Agreed! Try the belt removal first before you worry too much.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driver side rear window

My '03 Liberty had the same problem with the broken regulator. I bought the plastic part for $10 off eBay including shipping and replaced the broken plastic part. It works fine - cheap repair.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a very bad bearing. Easy way to find it would be an automotive stethoscope. HF sells one that works with a few tweaks. A piece of tubing also will work to isolate the sound. Or grab a long screwdriver, dowel rod or similar, Put one end on each component close to the bearing, put your thumb over the end and stick it in your ear. You will hear the bearings, just move the other end around to find the loud ones. A "normal" bearing will be quiet and you will hear sort of a rushing sound like wind. Rumbling, chattering or worse means a bearing is starting to fail or as bad as that sounds has failed.

If it's the AC clutch bearing, I think that one can be changed without needing to discharge the system, BUT you may have a hard time finding just the bearing.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safety...

Sounds like a very bad bearing. Easy way to find it would be an automotive stethoscope. HF sells one that works with a few tweaks. A piece of tubing also will work to isolate the sound. Or grab a long screwdriver, dowel rod or similar, Put one end on each component close to the bearing, put your thumb over the end and stick it in your ear. You will hear the bearings, just move the other end around to find the loud ones. A "normal" bearing will be quiet and you will hear sort of a rushing sound like wind. Rumbling, chattering or worse means a bearing is starting to fail or as bad as that sounds has failed.

If it's the AC clutch bearing, I think that one can be changed without needing to discharge the system, BUT you may have a hard time finding just the bearing.

The rod or screwdriver to the your ear is a classic analysis tool. However it has always scared me. What if I inadvertently touched a pulley or belt with the engine running? I bought the HF stethoscope with rubber hose to the ear or used the rubber hose method. Better to be safe than sorry. Maybe I am too careful but maybe not...

looper

Reaction score
a/c

It is the a/c. :favorites68: I'm not sure what my next steps will be.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya A/C problems, a no fun experience to replace just the bearing.
Also the bearing can over heat and cook the clutch coil too.
That said, a new replacement compressor is probably better, and a recharge will be in order and some $ to get it all done right.
For now & to save $, you could consider using a shorter A/C by pass serpentine belt.
I will edit in a link if I can find it..
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/cheap-ac-bypass-**picture**-45242/

Last edited:

looper

Reaction score
options

Ya A/C problems, a no fun experience to replace just the bearing.
Also the bearing can over heat and cook the clutch coil too.
That said, a new replacement compressor is probably better, and a recharge will be in order and some $ to get it all done right.
For now & to save $, you could consider using a shorter A/C by pass serpentine belt.
I will edit in a link if I can find it..
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/cheap-ac-bypass-**picture**-45242/

I may do the bypass, for the moment. We are moving in the next week or so and I need it drive-able. But thinking about it, I don't think the compressor itself is a problem. The clutch itself is operating just fine. I think I might just replace the bearing.

Last edited: