03 Liberty Limited 3.7-Bad Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajack

Reaction score
I haven't had this car out on an hour or two trip. Hopefully soon. I have one about 1/4 mile or so stretch of road on the way to work that I open her up briefly on, but thats about it. I dont drive like grandma either, although my passengers wish I would. The EVIC said about 9 this morning. I'll re-check the tires to make sure, and get the old girl out on the road so the hamsters ca get some exercise

ajack

Reaction score
Also, i heard what sounds like either a hissing, or possibly a sucking sound coming from under the drivers side near the front of the car. I assume this is a vaccum leak, correct?

I have looked under the car before and seen a rubber hose connected to steel line on the frame that looked cracked. My problem is I didn't know what was what. I'm smart enough to know that if you pull the wrong one, you can have brake fluid, or raw gas all over you.

They are all three stacked 1 on top of the other. can anyone tell me on an 03 which is the vacuum line?

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, in respect to vacuum lines for evap. Kept getting codes for leaks. I originally thought it was my gas cap. Cleaned it out really well and still got it. Noticed the same hissing. Found that the evap canister up front, right next to the battery has two lines coming out of it. The lines are mostly aluminum, but all the joints were rubber vacuum line. I replaced all of them all the way to the firewall and it was definitely my problem. Found the connections right up against the firewall were severely cracked on the back side facing the firewall. You would never be able to spot it when looking.

Went to O'Reilly's, purchased a couple of feet of each size vacuum line(those lines are actually two different sizes) and replaced everything I saw. It was about $5 in line. On a side note, I would replace every vacuum line on that thing I could get to. I did on my 03' and am now at 17.2ish around town, and my wife only drives it 3miles per direction. It just barely gets warmed up. We only take it on the highway once a week or so.

ajack

Reaction score
AutoXSS: The 5/16 line next to the firewall was almost split entirely end to end. I replaced that and hopefully everything is ok now. THANK YOU for giving me an idea where to look.

ajack

Reaction score
I drove it to my parents and back over thanksgiving. (approx 300 miles round trip). EVIC said 18.4 on the way down (mostly downhill driving) and, at one point, 20.6 on the way back! And that was on Sheetz (in Pennsylvania) gas both directions. (Although I have heard they don't have a "specific" supplier.. just whomever is cheapest when they need more..)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I drove it to my parents and back over thanksgiving. (approx 300 miles round trip). EVIC said 18.4 on the way down (mostly downhill driving) and, at one point, 20.6 on the way back! And that was on Sheetz (in Pennsylvania) gas both directions. (Although I have heard they don't have a "specific" supplier.. just whomever is cheapest when they need more..)

Better to hand calculate MPG evic's are not always right on either

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked.....

How does the EVIC calc the avg mgp? Is it calculated from last reset? Or does it only store the last 100 miles or so?

ajack

Reaction score
I hand calculated the mileage as well. It was about a 19.5 average round trip, which isnt bad at all. I think I also spent less than $60 in gas the whole trip too, so thats a bonus.