03 3.7 #1 cylinder scored

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kept eating plugs and throwing misfire codes. Put a scope in and found scoring on cylinder walls.Looks like its had a leaking head gasket. Its actually runs ok once the built up coolant burns off. Put on a new head gasket and ride it till it pukes or get a reman engine???

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the head gaskets on my engine and it runs great now. It all depends on how much you want to spend and whether or not you are going to do the work yourself. It took me and a friend a weekend to replace the head gaskets at a cost of about $600 for everything. I also got a head gasket kit that came with valve cover gaskets as well and replaced those and a couple other gaskets while we were in there. I was quoted at about $3600 to have it done at a shop. Then only question I would have is how many miles do you have on the current engine to determine whether or not it is worth getting a new engine for it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably drop in a used engine at that rate. Just my 2 cents though. I, by no means, know it all.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on reman engines? Any personal experience? Lol you can do a search on any of them and get glowing reviews and horror stories. I guess given the nature of that product and all the variables involved thats to be expected.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant recommend too much in the way of reman engines... honestly, if it were me, given the value of KJ's nowadays, and knowing what a reman is going to cost you to get installed, I'd be more inclined to use a low (relatively) mileage salvage engine from a wrecked, known running donor vehicle.

250,000 miles on the truck itself, if maintained and repaired, isn't too much of an issue (although I would wonder about the transmission next), but putting 1500-2500 for a reman engine in, well, it seems disproportionate to me.

Might want to just do some price and availability checking on a salvaged engine in your area. I mean, crap, if you can pick up another 3.7 with anything under 100k miles for anything in the area of $500-$700, less than a grand and you can be back on the road with an engine that will go another 100K or more miles, and still have cash in the pocket.

It's going to be the same, if not slightly less work to use a salvaged engine as it would a reman.

Good luck.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on reman engines? Any personal experience? Lol you can do a search on any of them and get glowing reviews and horror stories. I guess given the nature of that product and all the variables involved thats to be expected.

I was going to use AER for a reman motor, they have a better reputation than most. A few people here have used them. I have a good experience with them in a ford engine for my truck, although I believe they were the remain company for ford so it might not translate to the 3.7.

Honestly I went with a used low mileage 3.7 from a 2012 Liberty. It was cheaper and is oem quality.

You can use a newer years as well and anything that runs this 3.7 is compatible (dodge, jeep, even Mitsubishi) but you'd have to change a few things on the crankshaft and cam. Some great write ups here on how to do it.

my case was with a 2006 so the swap was incredibly easy.

I don't know where these low cost ($700-600) under 100k motors live, nowhere around me.
Although I think there was someone selling a motor here (in this forum) in Alabama for a good price but that may be gone already.

Try looking on car-part.com, also try Hollander parts search. Most of the salvage yards in your area will be on there. eBay hunt won't hurt either.

On remain AER was used be one or two people here I was going to follow up to see how the motors lasted but never did.

Some on car-part com list AER motors for sale as well.
Personally I try to find a newer motor and do the work to adapt it to your year. Block and heads and interchangeable it is the reluctor (or whatever it's called) that the cam and crank sensors use that need to be swapped.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my engine from accurate engines in grandville Michigan. 3800$ including them to come pick it up three hours away and bring it back. Had a few hiccups but that came and picked it up and fixed the issues for free. 100,000 mile unlimited warranty

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Edelbrock 383 Crate Engine :p

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah crap.. yeah, i checked car-part.com and it looks like a 3.7l from a 05 Liberty here in Michigan is about $1000 and up. Dang.. had no idea they were that pricey. I wouldnt have thought there would be that much demand for these that the prices would be that high.

I mean geez, a clean 03 like mine is only worth about $4000 to begin with.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prices I got on used 02/03 engines were way higher than I though and all of them had high mileage. I have a reman on the way and I'm going to replace the intake and injectors. Its my daily driver and its paid for. JBA lift kit, skid plates with ARB bumper, Warn M8000 and 4:10s and trutracs...its not like I can replace it with another Liberty off a lot. Besides..I paid $1500 for it and got 2 years out of the current engine so I was riding on house money.

Last edited:

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah crap.. yeah, i checked car-part.com and it looks like a 3.7l from a 05 Liberty here in Michigan is about $1000 and up. Dang.. had no idea they were that pricey. I wouldnt have thought there would be that much demand for these that the prices would be that high.

I mean geez, a clean 03 like mine is only worth about $4000 to begin with.

Come check out some yards in Canada if you're within reach of the border. You're exchange rate would put you in a great spot to find a lower mileage, low cost engine.