02 or 03? Difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gregerm

Reaction score
Planning on buying a liberty soon. What are the differences in the 02 and 03? I've noticed that most lift kits start at the 03 and cant find as many options on the 02. I read somewhere that the 03 is an inch lower? Thanks for the help.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03's built after around April were 3/4-1" shorter.
Best reason I see for buying an 02 is to get the better 45RFE transmission. The 03'2 also missed out on the rear window closer pad and a couple other little doo-dads that the 02's included. It was obvious that DC was trying to save some money on each unit starting in 03. BTW, if you go with a complete spring lift then all KJ's are basically the same height once the suspension is switched out. The popular kits will fit 02-up KJ's.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03s are 1 in. lower, have slightly different ******, have disc brakes all-round. Note later built 02s were lowered also. May be other things but those are the main ones.