'02 Libby thermostat housing gasket vs rtv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found out I have a small leak from my thermostat housing the other day, read up on parts I needed then went to the dealer to get them. I went under the assumption I needed a o-ring gasket for the housing, but the dealer told me (and showed me on his screen) that you are supposed to use rtv sealant...no gasket to be bought.

Anyone have any insight? I read on the jeepforum that you definitely aren't supposed to use rtv :shrug:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not dumb dealership parts guy. Gasket not to be used, use 'RTV sealer' per the parts fiche. Any gasket you buy will be aftermarket and probaly will cause leaks instead of stopping them.

That said, the thermostat should have come with an o-ring type gasket for the t-stat.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the old one out just now...definitely needs the gasket that attaches to the thermostat but don't see any rtv on the housing or mating surface.. Picking up the new thermostat and housing tomorrow from the dealer and I'm guessing I'll get that same gasket attached to the new thermostat...oh well

And yes sorry I shouldn't have said dumb dealer guy...he was just telling me what it showed on his screen..but I honestly think rtv won't work...no mention of it in the service manual either..

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no housing gasket. The Mopar thermostat comes with an o-ring seal already installed on it. I think you're using the wrong terms, that's why you're having a problem with the dealership parts dude.

Just took this pic, got the t-stat from the dealer a couple weeks ago
You must be registered for see images attach

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no housing gasket. The Mopar thermostat comes with an o-ring seal already installed on it. I think you're using the wrong terms, that's why you're having a problem with the dealership parts dude.

Just took this pic, got the t-stat from the dealer a couple weeks ago
You must be registered for see images attach

Ya I agree now that the thermostat will come with one but I still don't see why you would add rtv as well. :shrug: and when I went to ask the dealer guy about the housing part..I asked if there was a gasket to go with it (because a few online sites had one listed as a housing gasket) and he said yes at first then 10 minutes later after talking to two other parts guys said oh wait no use RTV

And ya I saw the recent thread in jeepforum about the issue...that's sort of where I started questioning it...but I think I agree with my service manual and tjkj2002 :party52:

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw, I remember tjkj mentioned that this is a one time use gasket. When you torque the housing down it actually crushes it to provide the seal.

I guess another reason why you can buy the gasket/seals separately from autostores.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably just best to replace the thermostat with a new Mopar replacement.
A new thermostat is not expensive.
If there is one thing that makes me nervous.gif it is wondering if my thermostat could cause a (censored) over heated condition! :mexsmoke: