02 45RFE Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just how reliable is the 45rfe. I bought my 02 with 78K miles last july, all maintenance records documented with purchase including ****** services at intervals of 20k with the last one at 78k before I purchased it. I did the last one at 90k which was a flush and fill from the dealer. If I keep up with the services like this will it last me the life of the vehicle. I drove my 95 xj from 140k to 310k all over the us and canada with no problems and sold it for 4k because of all the mods i had and the aw4 performed flawless.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it had to be somewhat good because it was the same ****** behind my uncles 4.7 1500 4x4 that he bought when that body came out he bought it in dec 2001. and he has 185k and tows a 7k lb camper and has been since the purchase. all he said that he added is a ****** cooler and did the trans go shift kit at 160k. Im just happy to hear other people are commenting on it.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably because its too much ****** for the 3.7 which I find the pair with 4.10s to be great, but I never heared anything bad about the 42rle really ether I just want to know that I can make my ****** last.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took me almost 120,000 miles to kill the one in my Ram, but that was with a modified hemi in front of it. It'll last forever in front of a 3.7.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably not nearly as bad as the 42RLE. My transmission guy tells me those are constantly in the shop for problems. Almost always a solenoid pack, mine's got a failing OD Clutch pack. It's really a shame that they didn't keep the 45RFE in the Liberty.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it had to be somewhat good because it was the same ****** behind my uncles 4.7 1500 4x4 that he bought when that body came out he bought it in dec 2001. and he has 185k and tows a 7k lb camper and has been since the purchase. all he said that he added is a ****** cooler and did the trans go shift kit at 160k. Im just happy to hear other people are commenting on it.
You're one up already if you ever decided to try and put the 3.7's big brother (the 4.7) into your Jeep.