oil sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twepper

Reaction score
I have this annoying problem. On cold mornings I warm up my jeep for a couple minutes and then drive to work. My first complete stop is after 11 miles and when I stop the oil sensor light comes on and then goes off after I accelerate. This continues to happen until I turn the vehicle off for the first time. Then it stays off for the rest of the day. My oil level is fine and have a new oil filter on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Twepper

2003KJ

Reaction score
As long as you're not hearing any funny noises (like knocking or the alike) when the light comes on, it's probably just a bad sensor. They do go bad from time to time.

Not sure on the 3.7 if you can hook up a mechanical gauge to verify the pressure or not, but if you can, I would definitely do that to confirm if the sensor is or is not bad. If I remember correctly, curb idle oil pressure once the engine is good and warm is something ridiculous like 3psi or something.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understanding a lot of the 'idiot' lights won't come on until the oil pressure gets down to almost nothing.

I have a Taurus that does exactly the oppisite. It runs fine but once it gets warmed up and you drive it for about a half hour the oil light flickers at idol. As soon as you touch the accelerator it's clear. I've been told that it could be faulty sensor, or leaking oil pressure guage.

The car has 105,000 and runs fine so I haven't really worried about it.

protek yer neck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in nothern ontario, canada, and have the same problem. every cold start... it comes on and wont go off till you restart the ignition.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just changed a buddies sensor sending unit on a dodge about a week ago.

change it, it should solve you problem, his symptoms were exactly the same. parts are less than 15 bucks - PITA to work on though, dont know why, just was.

if you don't want to throw the parts at it, do as Tim said and test oil pressure first, but my bet is on a bad sending unit

Latest posts

Members online