Thinking of moving from XJ to KJ - my plans inside...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdebler

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum. This site was recommended by an XJ buddy of mine.

I have a 2000 Cherokee Classic with a 3" Rough Country lift, Rubicon wheels and 245/75-16 BFG A/Ts.

You can read more details about it here (some details are outdated):
http://www.phantomss.com/jeep/
and see a more recent pic here (also a touch outdated, has BFG's on it now):
http://www.phantomss.com/gallery/pictures/DSC04103_medium.JPG
You get the idea.

I have had it since new. It is a decent rig and even though I do 99% street driving, it looks good. After 106,000 mostly trouble free miles, I am considering selling it and moving to a KJ. My XJ is getting old, needs a little bit of work here and there and my buddy really wants to buy it from me.

Here is my plan, but I am somewhat new to KJ's to tell me if I am on the right track.

I plan to buy a 2007 sport with basic options.

From what I read, my best bet for a good streetable lift is to get a Rusty's lift kit with OME shocks.

I REALLY want to keep the Rubicon wheels/BFG tires from my Cherokee and put them on the KJ, but from what I understand, they won't fit for 2007? What options do I have? Anything at all?

I guess that the KJ's are a bit down on power compared to a 4.0 XJ, so I plan to put a basic cold air kit on it and maybe put a catback on it. Anything else I can do?

That's the basics. I am really concerned about the wheel fitment considering that the BFG tires that I have were put on this morning. They literally have less than 20 miles on them. I absolutely love Rubicon wheels and want to keep them if it is even possible.

So, what do you guys think? Pretty simple and straightforward and on the right trackt? Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas are very much appreciated.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Welcome. You can keep the wheels and tires. :)

You might have to do a little bit of trimming in the front end (pinch weld) to get the tires to fit without rubbing (which would be very minimal).

The 3.7L KJ isn't THAT much slower than the 4.0L XJ. The real issue is... the KJ's powerband is MUCH flatter than the XJs. As some would say.. there is no low end torque.

I wish they'd stick in that new 4.0L V6 Chrysler just started producing. That thing's FUN!!!!

jdebler

Reaction score
Welcome. You can keep the wheels and tires. :)

You might have to do a little bit of trimming in the front end (pinch weld) to get the tires to fit without rubbing (which would be very minimal).

Okay, that is good news. I was reading here:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32093&highlight=rubicon
that the bolt spacing is different for 2007, but I think I read it wrong and got paranoid.

Is there a visual guide on the trimming anywhere?

The 3.7L KJ isn't THAT much slower than the 4.0L XJ. The real issue is... the KJ's powerband is MUCH flatter than the XJs. As some would say.. there is no low end torque.

Excellent, thanks. I am going to go search around for CAI/exhaust threads. :)

Thanks for the thoughts and advice, keep them coming! :)

Gringo Loco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that post they were saying that 07 rubicon wheels won't fit. The bolt pattern on the JK changed from the TJ. Lift it and put on the moabs and BFGs. And welcome to the sitewavey.gif.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a really nice XJ you have there. As far as I know the bolt pattern is the same and the rims and tires you have will fit without a lift.

Did you have the command trac or selec trac in the XJ? You can get either in the KJ also.

The 4.0 has more low end torque as Marlon mentioned. Go and drive a KJ at a dealer. Drive it on road and then find some gravel and try the 4hi and 4lo. I've had mine in 4lo - first gear (A/T) and it is pretty torquey. You'll lose the SFA in the XJ. You will find that the KJ will ride a little better on the road with the IFS. It is still pretty good off road. Gas mileage should be pretty similar although the XJ might be just a "little" better.

I can't answer your lift questions but I'm sure some people that are lifted will chime in.

Welcome to the board.

Dave

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
(welcome) aboard!

Marlon and others already covered what I was gonna say about the low end being "more there" on the 4.0, but the 3.7 is proving to be pretty damn reliable in its own. I wish I could answer your lift questions, but I don't really have much knowledge towards them in the ways of the KJ.

Thats a sweet lookin XJ you got there. Getting a bit OT, how to you like that RC lift? All the reviews I read about it said that it was crap.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Gas mileage in an XJ being better? hahaha. OK I'm done.

Sweet, ur from the area. This makes things even better. :)

I too may (if I don't get lazy!) go ahead and install this lift here. I can't justify it collecting dust, I am NOT about to throw it away, and I can't sell it...

Last edited:

jdebler

Reaction score
Getting a bit OT, how to you like that RC lift? All the reviews I read about it said that it was crap.

It is not bad IMO, had it on for over 3 years. The shocks are not worth keeping for more than a few months, but I upgraded to some Monroes when they started to puke. I forgot what they are from...fronts were from a TJ and rears from a Durango if I remember right...something like that...got the part numbers from another Jeep site over a year ago.

For the money, it can't be beat but that is the only lift I have experience with. My XJ buddy plans to get one for his next XJ if that says anything, and he has experience with a few different XJ kits. If you can buy it without the "hydro" shocks, it would be a better deal.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the lift, I can say without a doubt, it is a wise choice for a 3.7. If it were for a CRD I'd suggest an OME or Frankenlift (maybe). If you can swing the extra $$, I'd go with the OME for either, but that's just me, probably.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with a "cold air" intake. As said above, the 3.7 KJ lacks low end torque when compared to the 4.0 XJ. Low end means low speed. Cold air intakes only get cold air when moving at a good clip. At low speeds they actually become hot air intakes, because it's getting all of its air from in the engine bay.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just filled up, and with the warmer weather here in Cleveland, I'm averaging almost 21 MPG combined. 3.7L auto

Yea, I can get 21 barely on the highway with my 3.7 KJ wheras my old XJ got 22 highway. As I said, it was a "little" better. Not much.

Dave

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 MPG??? I just got home from a 200 mile drive, all at 75 mph on the interstate, with the cruise on, & only got 16.5 MPG.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw....jdebler

Welcome to the site!! I was getting into reading all the responses and forgot to give you a welcome. The XJ looks great. I had a 1998 Classic lift/tires/etc.... Loved it!!

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
21 MPG??? I just got home from a 200 mile drive, all at 75 mph on the interstate, with the cruise on, & only got 16.5 MPG.

75 mph will do that. If I get on a 55 mph posted parkway and keep it between 55-60 I get barely 21. Once I get on the interstate and set the cruise higher than that the mpg goes down the crapper - big time. Driving in town I don't even worry about any more. It's a Jeep. I take the Cutlass which gets 28 easy. It's about weight and aerodynamics.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would NOT get rid of that XJ. I would give anything to have one over my KJ. I slap love those Jeeps. The 4.0 and the AW4 cannot be beat. Very solid drivetrain.

In other news.. The 245/75/16 tires and Moabs is a very common combo for the kj with the Rustys lift or Franken lift. There is a chance you may get some mild rubbing with those rims since the BS is 5 where the stock rims are 5.5". The rubbing will not be bad.. You may need to cut some plastic/Heat and push outta the way along with beating the pinch weld over.

Keep the xj..

Ohh, I usually get 20-21 at 65-75mph.