KJ Jacking Points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound like such a stupid question, especially since I've used my jack & stands many times on other vehicles, but this is the first time I am using the jack on my KJ and I don't want to screw it up...

Where are the hoist/jacking points on the KJ (2006)? More importantly, where is the best place to put the two jack stands on either side? Trying to do an oil change and rotate tires, so I want to be able to raise both the front and the rear (not simultaneously though!). Thanks!

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owner's manuals never say where to put a floor jack, though. Who changes oil, rotates tires, or does ANYTHING with the stock jack? I jacked at the pinch weld and cross member, but I do not use an SUV floor jack. The smaller pan will let you use other spots, as well.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front:
Lower control arms, front skid, front cross member if you don't have a skid

Rear:
Anywhere on the axle even right on the differential

Also anywhere on the frame rail will usually work.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front:
Lower control arms, front skid, front cross member if you don't have a skid

Rear:
Anywhere on the axle even right on the differential

Also anywhere on the frame rail will usually work.

I thought using the diff was not a good idea as the casing is made from aluminum and could bend easily.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some pics of places I use.

You must be registered for see images attach

I do not recommend lifting the Jeep like I did below.. Kinda makes me scared that I ever did that.

I find that this one works out best:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL......... on that last pic with the invisible levitation jack........

Dave

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not recommend lifting the Jeep like I did below.. Kinda makes me scared that I ever did that.

The only time i'd ever do that is to pop two more jackstands under the rear. I would not, under any circumstances, let it rest on the jack like that for an extended period.

[public service announcement]
Good jackstands are cheap. Lives and bodywork aren't.
[/public service announcement]

And i knew the floating jeep pic would make it into this thread. Call it a premonition. :D

ceoKJ

Reaction score
wow, that looks sweet. i was looking to do that this weekend, to swap on some more aggressive wheels.

Kit
(first post :D)

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMAO, I don't know what I like better, the "hovering Jeep" or the cat underneath the Libby. Almost looks like he'd balancing it on his nose.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using the control arms on the front, then placing the stands on the frame rail, as per manual (stock jack location)

the rear, the diff as the jack point, the axle (stock jack location) as stand points.

lifting the thing makes me nervous everytime I do it, I dont know why. I dont like lifting on the control arms so close to the tire, but I dont like the crossmember, doesnt feel good when I try.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the rear, I have always jacked it up right from underneath the differential and supported it with jack stands on either side underneath the axle.

For the front, I have always used the cross-member and had no problem. Was always nervous about using the control arms, and the cross-member is pretty sturdy and easy to lift by. I should mention that I am using a 3 Ton Floor jack though, so it needs a nice wide area to get under. I never have it jacked up for more than 15 minutes at a time though, since I only swap/rotate wheels. I've been using a set of ramps for oil changes and man has it made the whole process easier!

Love the levitating jeep pic, I'm going to try and make me one of those next time around!

Last edited:

JP85

Reaction score

I find that this one works out best:

May the force be with you