hows she run in the winter???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gypsy933

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone notices fuel milage loss or any kind of losses during the cold winter months. and if you dont have cold winter months than ill switch with ya??? :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Stiff transmission when cold (doesn't shift as quickly as when warm), and of course the fuel mileage loss because of winter blend fuel. Your front suspension may make some squishy noises, can be fixed by lubricating the anti-sway bar bushings with grease, but they'll just make noise next winter. Oh, and your power steering pump may make a loud deep screech.

Other than that, there's no issues. Kick it into 4WD, and go everywhere. :)

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i go to start mine in the cold days its sounds odd thinking my starter is about to croak lol Cause its does the crank crank zipppppp lol

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my gas milage ***** but then again i whip it around every where in 4wd in the snow

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't notice much of a difference here in MA in the winter. Of course gas mileage with 4WD but besides that it runs like it normally does. I've been having those squishy noises though for about a week now so maybe I ought to take it in and get it lubed up. I need a tire rotation anyways.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a CRD, you will notice a difference in MPG with cold diesel fuel. The ECM will adjust the timing and fueling based on fuel temp, using the temp sensor in the fuel filter assembly. If you drive it long enough for the return fuel from the engine to warm up the fuel in the tank, you'll see the MPG come back up.

There's a "Goldilocks" fuel temp range the ECM likes to see, from around 60 to 70 F, up to about 100 to 120 F. Too cold, the ECM monkeys with the timing and fueling. Too hot, same story.

Few years back over on LOST, one gent was driving in particularly hot weather and was down to around 1/4 tank. His CRD went into limp mode because the fuel in the tank got too hot - the setpoint is up around 170 F!!!:eek:

There's quite a bit of heat added to the tank by the return fuel from the engine. One time I did an experiment on mine. Mid 90's F, full tank of diesel, did a 20 mile drive, measured temps before and after with an infared thermometer. Tank was at ambient before, 15 F above ambient when I stopped - in just 20 miles of driving, the return fuel had added enough heat to raise the temp of 20 gallons of diesel by 15 F. I took a page from the Duramax crowd and added a fuel cooler in the return line.

Conversely, on a a return trip from Texas one bitterly cold New Years - temps in the teens and 20's - my fuel mileage dropped into the low to mid 20's on the interstate. Suddenly it dawned on me I'd forgotten to cover over the fuel cooler. Tystrapped a couple pieces of cardboard over it, and once the return fuel had warmed up the tank sufficiently, my MPG zoomed back up to 30 plus.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost a few MPG last winter due to winter blend fuel that has Kerosene mixed in to prevent jelling. this winter I am down more because my thremostat is opening too soon.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I typically lose about 2mpgs in the winter time - and that's normal.

gypsy933

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it doesnt help me that i am sure i need a fuel filter and need to stop going through all the deep snow to pull people put.... and the best part is people look at me funny and try and tell me a jeep is running really rough and i should really get that checked. good ol diesel :)

i think i had the same problem with to much heat this summer because mine went into limp mode as well, i shut her off and then turned it back on 15 mins later and had zero issuses

Magnum

Reaction score
part of the problem is that the transmission will not shift into overdrive until the transmission warms up