Misfire Issue--HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a '08 Jeep Liberty Sport and have been having trouble with it for about a month now.

It all started one morning when I hopped in after working out. I started her up, drove about 100 feet, and got a flashing CEL. I immediately pulled over and shut her down. Upon restarting, I had a solid CEL and no other issues.

The next morning when trying to leave the house, I got the same flashing CEL and a very obvious misfire vibration. I shut her down, and upon restarting there were no issues.

Later that day I went to Autozone who pulled the p0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire code. I put some injector cleaner in there and got some reputable gas to solve any clog/bad fuel problems.

No misfires for two days, then it started misfiring to the point where I had to restart it twice to get the misfiring to go away. Still only gives the p0300 code.

I changed the plugs, which unfortunately had ZERO effect on the misfiring issue.

I finally broke down and turned it into the dealer. They were completely stumped becasue they could only get the p0300 code as well, so they were at a loss as what needed fixing. After flushing the fuel rail (and keeping it for 7 days) they said it was fixed.

They also reflashed the PCM, which was a nice bonus. It definately drive and shifts nicer than it ever did before

The dealer fix lasted for 24 hours, then the misfires started just as they had before--possibly even worse.

Today after some more research I cleaned the MAF, but that didn't fix anything either.

I'm totally at a loss right now and will be bringing it back to the dealer soon.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I would prefer to have a vehicle instead of leaving my Jeep at the Black-hole-that-is-the-dealership for another week or two.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the O2 sensors with NTK. That's what finally fixed mine when I had that problem.

I remember reading in one of your posts that your replaced both (?) of them. I think you said something about a special tool to get them out as well? I could be mistakin, as I read a lot of posts before putting my story up.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all 4 on mine. You only need to replace the 2 upstream (pre-cat) sensors to eliminate any problems though. They make a special socket for O2 sensors that has a slot in it. It's only a couple bucks to buy. I had one laying around, but you don't need it. An open ended wrench will work also.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, hopefully this saga has now come to a close. The dealer (at my prompting and after a callback to the manufacturer) replaced the two upstream O2 sensors (just as Snail Farmer said) and I haven't had any problems in about a week. It did take them two whole weeks to "figure" everything out--I'm just glad everything got done :)

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to close this one out! No problems since the dealer replaced the upstream O2 sensors! And in a great customer service move, they didn't charge me for the second "fix" becasue they didn't get it right the first time. That's professionalism right there!

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good outcome. Nice to see a dealer that doesn't charge you for all they can. I will file this one away in my bag o' tricks.