Rear Gate -Glass Lift Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like my shocks on the rear glass are kinda getting weak and slow to open or sometimes u have to lift glass a bit for it to now open.
I checked with dealer..they are my cost $52 each....and probably best quality.
The OEM dealer ones have now worked 10 years! Should I buy OEM?
That being said, what brand of replacement shocks are members using that still work well & last?
Monroe any good?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like my shocks on the rear glass are kinda getting weak and slow to open or sometimes u have to lift glass a bit for it to now open.
I checked with dealer..they are my cost $52 each....and probably best quality.
The OEM dealer ones have now worked 10 years! Should I buy OEM?
That being said, what brand of replacement shocks are members using that still work well & last?
Monroe any good?

I bought Monroes from RockAuto.com and they've worked well. I've said it before...When I first installed them and hit the button on the key fob I nearly got smacked on the chin thanks to the window opening so fast. Wasn't used to that - so be careful :waytogo:

Bob

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed mine, I got Monroe ones from Rockauto.com. I want to think that I paided like $28.00 with shipping. I have had no problems with them.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Monroe comes down the left side, passes right to Rock Auto - and scores the hat trick!

Same here, at the risk of redundancy - Monroe/Rock Auto. Every bit as good as advertised.

MONROE Part #901512. EDIT: May be different for your 2004 - I have a 2007.

And, uhhh...make sure you get a pair of them:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f222/profdlps-2007-liberty-project-54355/index4.html#post622261

:laughing1:

PS: I paid $13.03US + $6.64 Shipping = $19.68 Total. (Each)

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monroe from RockAuto, just to add to the chorus ;)

Really glad I bought them - had no idea how bad the OEMs had gotten.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone post a photo of their PAIR of shocks LOL & show me what the Monroes look like mounted are they solid black like the oem's?
Secondly I'm not very gentle on things like this and I might take a BF hammer to get them off as have not looked at the FSM yet, so I did notice today quick some forward round metal surround clip..how do you swap these little delicate things out exactly?
Knowing my luck I will just use my big hands and try to rip them off LOL...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just take a regular screw driver, you'll see a notch around that metal band, pry that loose (really easy, don't even remove the whole metal band) and it'll just pull off the little ball it sits on. I'll get pics if you want, but if you just look at them it's easy to figure out. To put the new ones on, they just snap back on.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just last week I installed 2 new Monroe. Purchased via Amazon as I have Prime.

Now I almost broke my neck getting out of the way when it opened and my wife needs back surgery from trying to close it :)

These suckers are strong - maybe I should have just done one.

They are black - look as much like OEm as I remember - again they are black & round.

Who the F really looks at them anyway :O

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a nice sunny day last year and decided to replace mine. Went to the ****zone (I know I know ) and picked them up. They are working great and like the Monroe's, stand back when you release the glass lol.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to napa and get your lifters there, I did and they are not even close to the high cost of the dealer I think I paid about $20.00 for both of mine.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have someone hold the glass for the fist one after that a new one will hold it up as you do the second one.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone! The Rock Auto Part number is 901512 currently $14.17each..great price! (the are listed as body exterior-lift support)
I noticed today while it was warmer outside, the current ones still open the window but are slow..time for new ones soon..Thanks for all the help..Monroe it is then.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I finally got the new Monroe Rear Window Lift Gate Shocks in.
I hope this may help others..
The Monroes fit perfectly and the main difference is all black..
50711[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is OEM info & the Little clip on each end. A small screwdriver works great!
50713[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Talk about a difference! I guess the old ones were pretty worn out.
I dont think the cold weather, even covered in snow, will stop the hatch glass from opening now! :waytogo:
:favorites13:

Attachments

• 6933.jpg
    6933.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6934.jpg
    6934.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 0

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I dont think the cold weather, even covered in snow, will stop the hatch glass from opening now! :waytogo:
:favorites13:
I have the same ones. You'll be able to launch the snow off the gate and fling it clear to your neighbors sidewalk with those, all at the push of a button. :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just bought 4 of the Monroes for mine and the StepDads
Have used them before work great

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought Monroes too.

Funny part is that I ordered the hood lift shocks at the same time. Took off the rear old glass shocks, put the new shocks on. WOW was it strong. Went to hood. Took old off, tried to put new on. "Wait a second..." They didn't fit. I assumed the fatter shocks were for the hood. It's actually the opposite. :rofl: Man did that rear glass FLY up with the hood shocks on em.

Latest posts

Members online