painting undercarriage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just avoid the brakes and exhaust (unless it's high temp paint). And my shocks, don't want to cover up the yellow. But other than that, just go to town on it. :D

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do mine with black undercoating and a piece of cardboard for a strait edge after it's been power washed. If you do use undercoating do not spay it on or over the cats.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my buddy said to use rustoleum undercarriage coating and to paint it on - is this okay in terms of heat? others have used just plain rustoleam paint - and I did paint my wheels with rustoleum enginge enamel which has held up for years.. but this was on an already painted stock wheel not a rusty axel

the main items i want to paint are the rear axel and the front lower control arms as they are now visible with the lift

will definitely power wash first but whats the best paint to use?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will definitely power wash first but whats the best paint to use?

I used Rustoleum Hammered Finish in black. Kinda covers imperfections cuz of the hammered finish effect. Plus I prefer a flat paint finish underneath.

Bob

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how is it with heat? should i worry about that.. i dont plan on the exhaust - just the axel/front control arms really

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heat will be a non issue, and still look better then rust, even if the heat becomes a minor issue. The worst case scenario is it rusts off telling you where it gets hot and you buy BBQ paint for round 2.

tremclad flat black for me, haven't tried rustolum.

Black paint by rust check is absolute crap. so is the Canadian tire "rubberized" asphalt undercoating, wouldn't spray it on a stolen car.

If you can find POR 15 undercoating, i've heard its good but seals whatever you put it on. Ideal if your rust free. Haven't tried it.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
... so is the Canadian tire "rubberized" asphalt undercoating, wouldn't spray it on a stolen car.

You must have had a bad experience ... The "Premium" Rubberized Undercoating from CT has been on my roof rails for 3 years and on my rock rails for 2 .. not a single flake, chip or peel. It is also sprayed on the bottoms of my doors again stands up to all the slush and crap without a problem. I would not go so far as to say it would outlast the others but then again it costs next to nothing when on sale.

As with all coatings, if you don't prep the surface they all suck.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did the lower section of a half ton. Just got beat to hell on gravel and chipped a lot. everything else got bastardized on the frame with gravel and sand used on our roads.

if you have sucess with it great but not for my cash.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rustoleum undercoating any good? a friend uses this on all his old 'vettes and said it's great..

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody?... i'd prefer to paint on than spray as I do not want to get it on shocks/coils or any of the brake components

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody?... i'd prefer to paint on than spray as I do not want to get it on shocks/coils or any of the brake components

If it's consistent with other RustOleum paints then it'll probably be fine. Personally I think undercoating is a bit much - the KJ's body is galvanized and the suspension components are heavy steel. Paint alone seems to do the trick for most. Sand/grind off any major rust with steel brush or wire wheel in a cordless drill - when you spray paint just use some cardboard to block important components from the spray. Comes out nice (pardon the water spots - it rained here yesterday):

You must be registered for see images

Bob

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow this looks great.. what specific type of paint did you use? how long has it held up?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

I used a tin of Silver Hammerite paint on our sliders and I gave my winch a cosmetic tune up. I used a 1¼" paint brush, four coats of paint.
Then let everything bake in the hot summer sun for four days. Not a lick of wind, black top driveway, and 44° Celsius / 111.2° Fahrenheit!
Just way to :favorites68: hot for me!
:mexsmoke::flamingdevil:

You must be registered for see images attach

Before installation I'm going to pressure wash the mounting locations on the frame rails then paint that whole area with more Hammerite.
Tomorrow if doesn't piss out. Either way I'll have them on before next weekend. We'll be gone. In the bush and the mountains for eight days with our Jeeps!
Then when we get back I'll pressure wash the under carriage. Once dry Jen and I are going to paint the whole underside of the Jeep. Chassis Black. I'll use a brush there as well in most large areas, but in hard to reach spots I'll spay bomb those areas. Make the Jeep all purdy underneath.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking great

painted the now visible rust with rustoleum hammered black (thanks Bob) and masked off those pretty shocks and the brakes/rotors with painters tape and plastic bags..came out great back and front..what an improvement

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 62
  • photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 56
  • photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 62
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 60
  • photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 53

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm talking' about!

Looks great - a clean undercarriage really helps the longevity and prevents rust from forming from the inside out. Keep a can of the Rustoleum in the garage for any touchups.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online