KJ Headlights -Functionality Strange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your Jeep do this as well?
Scenario= You leave headlights on, but turn the Jeep ignition OFF.
So you got to stalk turn them off..but headlights remain ON!
Two ways to get the headlights to turn off...see video..
click on image below:
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL]
With any lights left on, the KJ should turn them off after 8 minutes, as battery run down protection kicks in.
I've recently had some strange BCM stuff going on like no ding when you leave lights on or even open door with key left in ignition.
This was reset by disconnecting battery for a while, now the dings work again.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about yours.... but I have my KJ set to leave the headlights on for 30 seconds if I shut the Jeep off while they are on, and then turn them off via the stalk. It's a setting in the EVIC overhead.

Now if I turn them off via the stalk and shut the vehicle down, they remain off, as they should.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're a guide light to help you get in your house :) They turn off after 30-45 seconds, even if you try to turn them off via the stalk (I never timed it!). You'll notice that your parking lights stay off while these "guide" lights are on.

If you turn them off before shutting down the Jeep, they won't stay on. If you turn them off AFTER turning off the Jeep, they will kind of flash and stay on. If you turn the switch again they will turn off.

I've gotten used to it. My friends always make fun of me. "Yo dude your lights are on!" It gets old after a while. :D

Funny you mention the no ding thing though. Mine for a while now has stopped dinging when the key is left in the ignition and the front door opened. Not complaining, honestly. That was annoying!!!

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about yours.... but I have my KJ set to leave the headlights on for 30 seconds if I shut the Jeep off while they are on, and then turn them off via the stalk. It's a setting in the EVIC overhead.

Now if I turn them off via the stalk and shut the vehicle down, they remain off, as they should.

what year is your KJ?

I have a limited and I did not even see an option in the EVIC in the past.
Seems like this is a mixed bag with everyone's KJ being different.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard with chrysler vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Programmable house trail light huh..ok then..
Next test I guess tonight, is to time how long my lights remain on then.
According to the owners manual (with EVIC) I don't have one, but they can be programmed to 30-60-90 seconds to remain On.
Will see if mine is set for 30 seconds...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. I looked it up in the owner's quick guide.

Battery-Saver Feature
If headlamps are turned off after the ignition key is switched to the OFF position, there will be a 90-second delay before the headlamps shut off. If you forget to shut OFF your headlamps after you leave the vehicle, they will automatically shut off in eight minutes.

I went through the EVIC again and there was a headlamp setting which my wife said it was the delay for the dome lights. She was wrong about that.

There are options for 30, 60 and 90 seconds.
-_-''''

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an EVIC. Wonder what that means for default programming. Wonder if there is a way to change it? Maybe with a scan tool.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ ya x2 I wonder if the Snap On solaris would get the programming done?
Default well..I just checked my situation out!
My headlights remain on & so do all the parking lights!
After 3 minutes of them all remaining on, I gave up & tuned them off. :Insane:
Bottom line, make sure the darn things are off, before turning off the Jeep.
What I have to try next tho, is to see if when lights are left on when jeep tuned off, is to then shut lights off, (even tho still on) and then time it to see if they go off quicker then.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...You'll notice that your parking lights stay off while these "guide" lights are on...

Interesting stuff. I was testing this myself yesterday and noticed something which might help me out. Ever since my break in (nearly two years ago) my fog light switch has not worked. If the parking lights are on, the fogs are on. (And yes, they worked right before the steering column was essentially replaced.) Yesterday was the first time I've seen the headlights on and fog lights off since that happened. Maybe the next time I get the urge to see if the dealer can reprogram things (again) this will provide a clue.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're a guide light to help you get in your house :) They turn off after 30-45 seconds, even if you try to turn them off via the stalk (I never timed it!). You'll notice that your parking lights stay off while these "guide" lights are on.

If you turn them off before shutting down the Jeep, they won't stay on. If you turn them off AFTER turning off the Jeep, they will kind of flash and stay on. If you turn the switch again they will turn off.

I've gotten used to it. My friends always make fun of me. "Yo dude your lights are on!" It gets old after a while. :D

Funny you mention the no ding thing though. Mine for a while now has stopped dinging when the key is left in the ignition and the front door opened. Not complaining, honestly. That was annoying!!!

The Actuator Pin assembley that turns the ignition switch has a hollow rectangular tube...that often breaks.

Yours obviously has not broken but inside the hollow rectangular tube is a plastic sliver that extends when the key is pushed all the way into the ignition. This sliver then presses on a single contact inside the ignition switch to tell the BCM that the key is fully in place.

There have been cases when owners have replaced the Actuator Pin Assembly that this sliver extended too far so you would get the PING even when the key is removed so the end of the sliver has to be trimmed a bit.

Your sliver may have broken off or the contact that it presses on may be dirty.

I agree that this PING is a pain...I always pull the key out slightly if I want to open the doors while key is in ignition!

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have turned them off on the stalk, and turned the vehicle off roughly at the same time and had the lights turn themselves back on. stalk turning them on and then back off again turned them off

i didnt know the parking lights would turn themselves off until i was out at the beach a few months ago and left my parking lights on while talkin to a fella and they turned themselves off after what seemed to be about 10 mins so it sounds like uss2defiant's description is pretty dead on

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Actuator Pin assembley that turns the ignition switch has a hollow rectangular tube...that often breaks.

Yours obviously has not broken but inside the hollow rectangular tube is a plastic sliver that extends when the key is pushed all the way into the ignition. This sliver then presses on a single contact inside the ignition switch to tell the BCM that the key is fully in place.

There have been cases when owners have replaced the Actuator Pin Assembly that this sliver extended too far so you would get the PING even when the key is removed so the end of the sliver has to be trimmed a bit.

Your sliver may have broken off or the contact that it presses on may be dirty.

I agree that this PING is a pain...I always pull the key out slightly if I want to open the doors while key is in ignition!

I probably screwed up the replacement if I had to guess. It took a while for me to notice that I had no ping. (I replaced the actuator ~2 years ago) As long as my Jeep starts I'm very happy about this.

As for the OP's light situation...I'm still not understanding. When you follow this procedure...your parking lights are still on???

Headlights on, vehicle on --> turn the vehicle off --> Turn the headlights off, headlights stay on, parking lights should be off.

Here's the procedure if you want your headlights to stay off:

Headlights on, vehicle on --> Turn the headlights off --> Turn vehicle off, all lights will stay off.

~or~

Headlights on, vehicle on --> turn the vehicle off --> Turn the headlights off --> Turn Headlights on --> turn headlights off

If the stalk is actually in the ON position and LEFT in the on position after turning the Jeep off and leaving the vehicle, the lights will stay on for 8 minutes.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year is your KJ?

I have a limited and I did not even see an option in the EVIC in the past.
Seems like this is a mixed bag with everyone's KJ being different.

'03. It's a programmable delay option for me in the EVIC... I'm sure others are the same if they have the overhead computer.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have it on our EVIC up top and set it to 30 or 60 I can't recall. Maybe those without have a default setting. I'm sure there is some weird turn the key, press the brake, set the radio to 101.5 to get it to change but I have no clue what that is.

OT I found it so odd that my bil's Avenger requires the whole key and brake/gas pedal thing to reset the service light. What a dumb sequence that they could have just put on the MFI on the gauges. Thankfully the Liberty and my GLI both are easily adjusted.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Something I noticed when I left my Jeep by the side of the road with the emergency flashers on is they turn off automatically after awhile. About ten minutes(?).

Emergencies only last so long I suppose.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
As for the OP's light situation...I'm still not understanding. When you follow this procedure...your parking lights are still on???

Headlights on, vehicle on --> turn the vehicle off --> Turn the headlights off, headlights stay on, parking lights should be off.

That is correct as above ^ if I left the headlights on & jeep off the headlights and parking lights will remain on for 8 minutes.

If I left headlights on, jeep off, then turned lights off, only the headlights would remain on and then shut of (90seconds) later.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct as above ^ if I left the headlights on & jeep off the headlights and parking lights will remain on for 8 minutes.

If I left headlights on, jeep off, then turned lights off, only the headlights would remain on and then shut of (90seconds) later.

That's completely normal!