Jack,Scissor,Bottle,HighLift or What?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to hear from those who are lifted and that have actually had to change a tire. What jack is recommended on the trail?
The stock KJ scissor looks real weak. It should be noted that in my sedan I have a real 5000lb scissor jack with a flat top, 2x3 inch plate, that goes to 26 inches, would that do?
Here is a similar scissor: 20 inch http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305251_200305251
That jack doubles to lift the boat on trailer, does well. Getting some 2x10 inch thick wooden blocks is next as well.
SO what should I buy for the KJ? 4 ton bottle jack?
I suppose a high lift is out of the question without an adapter or rock rails.

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on a lifted Libby you could get away with using the stock scissor lift jack with a couple of blocks of wood but only on flat ground or pavement.

A Hi-Lift would be a good idea too if only you had a point to jack from. You can't use the stock bumpers. Plus the length of the Hi-Lift can be a problem like where to stow it.

A bottle jack with a couple of wide blocks of wood would do well. Stows easily & very flexible.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the TJ I have a bottle jack and some 2X6 blocks of wood
I have changed a tire before on the trail

2x to the above! :)

I'd also use the strongest bottle jack that still fits under the chassis / axle ( 6-8 t maybe? )
Don't forget a rag, only rocks are allowed to scratch the underbody :D

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where place bottle jack for front end?

OK, bottle jack is easy for the rear - under the axle. But where is the jacking point for the front without doing damage to the underbody?

Thanks.

Gene

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, bottle jack is easy for the rear - under the axle. But where is the jacking point for the front without doing damage to the underbody?

Thanks.

Gene

KJ's chassis has a mark to let You know..... Anyway, as a rule of thumb, near/below welding points...

Again, use a rag or wooden block, but beware, this might crack and split open...happened to me once :favorites68:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped a buddy jack up his YJ to open his front diff with a small bottle jack last weekend. We improvised and used a shovel beneath the bottle jack so it wouldn't disappear into the snow.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
More votes above for a bottle jack. The problem with bottle jack is that you need to stack enough wood as the lift of these type of jacks vary.(shovel wow) If I go this route a 2x3" rectangular steel plate would help for lifting front of kJ with wood.
Trying to find one with a moulded case that has 8 inches of lift.
Know of any good ones with a moulded case?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I use the hi-lift, but I also have a lift point (rock rails). If not for that, I'd likely use the bottle jack w/wood method.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Jayme, you must carry then stands as well. My caution over high lifts are keeping low and maintaining balance with those jacks. Your lifting point is then the rock rail front or rear?
I may eventually install the rock rails. I have a place to mount the HL jack onto the basket now. Just a lot of extra weight with the HL jack though too.
Still searching to find a decent bottle jack with a plastic carry case...(for now)

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear from those who are lifted and that have actually had to change a tire. What jack is recommended on the trail?
The stock KJ scissor looks real weak. It should be noted that in my sedan I have a real 5000lb scissor jack with a flat top, 2x3 inch plate, that goes to 26 inches, would that do?
Here is a similar scissor: 20 inch http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305251_200305251
That jack doubles to lift the boat on trailer, does well. Getting some 2x10 inch thick wooden blocks is next as well.
SO what should I buy for the KJ? 4 ton bottle jack?
I suppose a high lift is out of the question without an adapter or rock rails.

Wow! Can't believe you guys have a scissor jack! Mine (2002 Sport) comes with a bottle jack and wheel brace (lug nut remover) and extension poles etc all clipped into a plastic holder that bolts down under the rear passenger seat. Maybe you could see if your dealer can get one of those for you? I assume it must be only on the european export ones then? Does that mean we lowly brits have something you dont? There is a God!! :smokin:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Can't believe you guys have a scissor jack! Mine (2002 Sport) comes with a bottle jack and wheel brace (lug nut remover) and extension poles etc all clipped into a plastic holder that bolts down under the rear passenger seat. Maybe you could see if your dealer can get one of those for you? I assume it must be only on the european export ones then? Does that mean we lowly brits have something you dont? There is a God!! :smokin:

nope
our '03 LTD came with that same pkg.
all I did when I upped the tire size on the KJ was carry a few blocks of wood
under there with the jack

even the TJ cam with that set up
however even the tallest reasonable size bottle jack is challenged
by a 33" tall tire on a 15" rim when flat

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is interesting there Banditsteve. My 04 is bolted under the rear passenger seat and it definitely is a scissor type.
How many ton rating is the one you have for your bottle jack? Does it say? got any pics of it..just curious now.
From the 04 owners manual...
38394[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 2004JeepJack.jpg
    2004JeepJack.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 3

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We carry a cheap 2 ton floor jack year round. It's stuffed in the roof box along
with 2 pieces of lumber (9"X18"-2" thick.)
http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/garage/lifting-devices/jacks/8036709-2-ton-trolley-jack
Don't laugh, the last one I bought from there was in 1983.
And it still works fine!

When we head off road, we also take a 48" Hi-Lift Extreme jack, a Lift mate,
and an off road base.

Check out the link below Tim.
http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/garage/lifting-devices/jacks/list-all?orderby=product_name
None of them come with a case.
But an ammo box might work.

Attachments

• 2 ton trolley jack.jpg
    2 ton trolley jack.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Extreme jack.jpg
    Extreme jack.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 13
  • liftmate.jpg
    liftmate.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting there Banditsteve. My 04 is bolted under the rear passenger seat and it definitely is a scissor type.
How many ton rating is the one you have for your bottle jack? Does it say? got any pics of it..just curious now.
38396[/ATTACH]"]

Not sure of the ratings LibertyTC but I will take some photos for you at the weekend and post them for you. Until then, there are 2 part numbers on there - 52059343AB and 52059412AB. Not sure what they relate to but your local dealer might be able to check them for you. Hope this is of some use and I will post the photos asap. Cheers, Steve :smokin:

Attachments

• 2004JeepJack.jpg
    2004JeepJack.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
38436[/ATTACH]"]

Here you go LibertyTC. Like I said earlier, I am not sure which the correct part number is but the photos show you what it looks like and it looks like it will use the same mounting point as your original scissor jack. Hope this is of some interest to you. Cheers, Steve :smokin:

Attachments

• P1010032 (1024x768).jpg
    P1010032 (1024x768).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010033 (1024x768).jpg
    P1010033 (1024x768).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010034 (1024x768).jpg
    P1010034 (1024x768).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010035 (1024x768).jpg
    P1010035 (1024x768).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010036 (1024x768).jpg
    P1010036 (1024x768).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2004JeepJack.jpg
    2004JeepJack.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 3

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks..very interesting. Learned something new on those photos.
Got a photo of the top of the jack looking downwards? Is it notched for the frame?