Chain Jingle Sound While Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably not possible to really diagnose this over the internet. Figured I would give it a shot and maybe I'll get lucky and it's a common issue.

I have this weird jingling sound. It's not just coming from one side but from both the passenger front and driver front side. It's like an oscillating chain jingle sound. I cannot hear it at all driving unless I'm near a median or curb and the sound bounces off to hear. It started pretty subtle but it appears to be getting louder.

I recently got the rotors and pads replaced about a month and a half/2 months ago. Could this be an issue with that? Or does it sound like it may be something else?

I'm still learning as I go so I don't even really know what to look for if I get down there to look.

From inside the truck hearing it I would say it appears to be coming from both front wheel areas. But again I only hear it near curb etc and the sound bounces off so I can hear it.

If it helps I'll try to get a video taken of it. Not sure if I can or if it will just sound like wind blowing but I'll try.

I wish there was a way to recreate the noise without driving so I could just follow the sound.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for what it's worth there is only the sound there. I have not noticed any unsual feeling in the steering wheel or while turning or anything physical just the noise.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. ok I'll have to check that tonight. There was a post floating around here I posted on a week or so back about that and it had some pictures of what to look for. Thank you so much. Gives me a place to start.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of what I assume is what I am looking for.

The black boot seems all there.
Is this what I'm looking for? And if so what should I look at to see if it is the cause? I've read to check if the black boot is ripped.
You must be registered for see images attach
[/IMG]

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
It's the other end usually ... look way into the joint ... if you don't see smooth rubber that's the culprit .. if you see lots of grease in there the boot is gone

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok wrong end. Think I found the issue.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the other end usually ... look way into the joint ... if you don't see smooth rubber that's the culprit .. if you see lots of grease in there the boot is gone

Yeah it's shredded in there. Couldn't get the best photo as its a tight fit there but that's for sure the issue.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's shredded in there. Couldn't get the best photo as its a tight fit there but that's for sure the issue.

Bingo!! (woot)

Don't be surprised if the bearings come rolling out when you take the driveshaft out - once the boot goes the CV joint grenades pretty quickly.

Here's the link for the replacement. Only $55 plus shipping and about a 45 minute job. Those CV's make weird noises and since the joint is right under the driver's seat the sound seems to be coming from whatever location our imagination can come up with.

Glad you found the problem!

P.S. Don't use the Allen-head bolts that come with the kit. Nothing wrong with the bolts, it's just that it's tough to get an Allen wrench up in there. Just reuse the original bolts.

Bob

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bingo!! (woot)

Don't be surprised if the bearings come rolling out when you take the driveshaft out - once the boot goes the CV joint grenades pretty quickly.

Here's the link for the replacement. Only $55 plus shipping and about a 45 minute job. Those CV's make weird noises and since the joint is right under the driver's seat the sound seems to be coming from whatever location our imagination can come up with.

Glad you found the problem!

P.S. Don't use the Allen-head bolts that come with the kit. Nothing wrong with the bolts, it's just that it's tough to get an Allen wrench up in there. Just reuse the original bolts.

Bob

Thank you for the link. It will probably be about a week and a half before I order the part and it arrives. Would I be able to remove the shaft and get it all torn down and keep it off and still drive the Jeep?
From what I've read it sounds like you can so long as you don't throw it in 4x4 but I wanted to double check. Thinking of just pulling it tonight while I got the free time so it's already out.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. ok I'll have to check that tonight. There was a post floating around here I posted on a week or so back about that and it had some pictures of what to look for. Thank you so much. Gives me a place to start.

Here's a picture of what I assume is what I am looking for.

The black boot seems all there.
Is this what I'm looking for? And if so what should I look at to see if it is the cause? I've read to check if the black boot is ripped.
[/IMG]

Ok wrong end. Think I found the issue.

Grr. You must not have read my posts in that thread carefully!!!! :icon_rolleyes:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grr. You must not have read my posts in that thread carefully!!!! :icon_rolleyes:

I do apologize. I didn't think it was the same issue when I made the post because the sound mine was making was nothing like what I heard in that guys video so I thought it was something else. (I was thinking break related).

I was stupid and looking at the wrong end of the shaft thinking all was ok so i must have had a different issue. That's why I made this post.

That was until I was advised my ******* was looking at the wrong end. After that is when I went back to your post and got the link for the how-to on changing it out in the other dudes post.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do apologize. I didn't think it was the same issue when I made the post because the sound mine was making was nothing like what I heard in that guys video so I thought it was something else. (I was thinking break related).

I was stupid and looking at the wrong end of the shaft thinking all was ok so i must have had a different issue. That's why I made this post.

That was until I was advised my ******* was looking at the wrong end. After that is when I went back to your post and got the link for the how-to on changing it out in the other dudes post.

No worries. :) Simple mistake. I'm just playing around. Glad you found the issue!!

Mine actually sounded much more different than both of yours. It vibrated between 35/40mph in 4WD. That was the only symptom until I was wheeling one day and it sounded like I had a rock between my brake pad and my rotors...that wouldn't come out. I also felt it in my steering wheel. It was LOUD to say the least. Turned out to be the joint. These CV joints can sound so many different ways it's incredible.

We can probably put together a symphony of CV joint noises! :rofl:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine went bad I didn't hear a thing in 2wd. But once I put it in 4hi it sounded like a pots and pans windchime hanging under the jeep.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just now getting around to repairing this. Had it off for a while. Can someone confirm this is the correct party I need? All the links I've clicked on in the forums are now coming back stating product not found. This is what I am about to order. I noticed it's about $10 cheaper than previous which is why I wanted to double check I was ordering the correct part.

http://www.automotivepartsunlimited.com/driveshafts-propshafts/545-driveshaft-cv-head.html

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Just now getting around to repairing this. Had it off for a while. Can someone confirm this is the correct party I need? All the links I've clicked on in the forums are now coming back stating product not found. This is what I am about to order. I noticed it's about $10 cheaper than previous which is why I wanted to double check I was ordering the correct part.

DRIVESHAFT CV HEAD - Automotive Parts Unlimited

Yes that is the correct one.

hubbace

Reaction score
I'm fixing to do this same repair. I could have sworn my issue was also bake or intermediate shaft related. Also checked the differential side cv on the front shaft and felt all was good there. Sounds had been playing with me for 6-8 months, then bam. Blew the whole cv head on the tcase side going down the highway. Very lucky it did not tear up anything. Sure made a lot of noise. :)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing to do this same repair. I could have sworn my issue was also bake or intermediate shaft related. Also checked the differential side cv on the front shaft and felt all was good there. Sounds had been playing with me for 6-8 months, then bam. Blew the whole cv head on the tcase side going down the highway. Very lucky it did not tear up anything. Sure made a lot of noise. :)

I'll bet that little event put a stripe in your shorts, eh? :icon_mrgreen:

Bob

Members online

No members online now.