4WD part time light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jatodog

Reaction score
2007, automatic, the 4WD "Part Time" dash light stays on in 2L. Gas mileage is garbage and suggestions before I get too involved? Thanks.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would first check if you're actually still in 4wd...get it on jack stands or a lift and manually turn the driveshaft and see if they're locked together. Then you can at least determine if you have an electrical issue with the dash light, or something like a transfer case issue, not disengaging 4wd or something.

But before you do any of that, you could take a second to introduce yourself..Welcome to the forum.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Define garbage fot gas mileage, simplest thing with the 4wd light would be the transfer case position switch, its around 50 bucks at the dealership, i know a member on here posted the resistance values of the switch for each position if you want to test it before buying one, but if the t-case is functioning fine id bet my last dollar on it being that switch

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:freak3:Yup. Those switches seem to go out around 80-100K miles or so. Just make sure you aren't ACTUALLY in 4LO! :freak3:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x3 on the position switch. Crappy gas mileage is unrelated. Mine's been dead for like 30k miles now. I don't need it. (Led foot, plugs, etc.) Pull the battery off and put it back on for a very temporary fix.

esb2009

Reaction score
i could use help too

I also have the same problem,but also when its in 4x4 it sounds like its not engaged??? A clicking. Any help?

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clicking could mean you have 4WD engaged when you shouldn't be (i.e. not obeying the "PART TIME" phraseology) or some kind of mechanical issue with your transfer case.

If you are 100% convinced that it isn't driveline binding from engaging 4WD on dry roads, put it on jackstands and see if one of the front wheels turns while in 4WD. It should. If it doesn't, you have a driveline problem.