Yellow oil sludge on oil cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having this issue on my 03 liberty. It gets quite a bit of condensation under the cap and it clogs up the PCV valve. I changed the PCV valve yesterday and it ran tip top for an entire day, and then went back to a rough idle. I didn't clean out the filler neck / cap and think some of that sludge got in the new valve already.

Is there a link to a complete kit for re-routing the PCV valve on an 03 liberty sport?

https://cda.extra.chrysler.com/icon/sqwrp/files/2500108.pdf

All the info can be obtained in this document. Just need to follow it closely.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bought all the parts I need to reroute it.

Last edited:

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TSB Recommended rerouting it if there are running problems. Mine is clogging up my PCV valve and causing it to freeze up. I live in a cold climate. If it isn't causing the engine to run like crap, I wouldn't worry about it. If you start to notice power loss like you are not getting gas, check the PCV valve first. I just dropped about 300$ on parts before I discovered it was a 4.99$ part.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Mopar guy,

We are always abused on forums. Get used to it. I get crap too... and don't get me started when they ask for credibility. To those idiots, I say...

"I only build them."

They usually freeze.

Can we convert back to the old PCV system?

I miss the sludge. :(

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TSB Recommended rerouting it if there are running problems. Mine is clogging up my PCV valve and causing it to freeze up. I live in a cold climate. If it isn't causing the engine to run like crap, I wouldn't worry about it. If you start to notice power loss like you are not getting gas, check the PCV valve first. I just dropped about 300$ on parts before I discovered it was a 4.99$ part.
Same thing for me. It cloggs up my PCV and my mileage has to be suffering some.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing for me. It cloggs up my PCV and my mileage has to be suffering some.

I was losing power on warm starts and couldn't figure out what was going on. New fuel filter, new spark plugs, new ATS, new TPS, cleaned throttle body, cleaned evap canister, new battery, seafoam, and new purge solenoid. Whew. I finally put a new PCV valve in and could see the other one was totally clogged with that sludge crap. Was surprised that fixed the problem.

Got to remember to start simple first.

Last edited:

Mopar guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The freezing issue caused a pressure build up in my engine and a leak from the front crankshaft seal. Since the seal had been replaced 20,000 miles ago, a retired Chrysler tech told me to do the PCV update before having the seal replaced. That was 4000 miles ago and no leakage since

Mopar guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new PCV Valve goes into the back of the drivers side cylinder head. There is a hose nipple currently in that location, which the crankcase breather hose uses

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new PCV Valve goes into the back of the drivers side cylinder head. There is a hose nipple currently in that location, which the crankcase breather hose uses
Found it. Thanks! The kit was about $40. Going to try and change it this weekend. I hope it helps. I'm sure it will.